Health Recipes 13: Rendang Paneer
- Uma Pushpanathan
May 25, 2017
Per Serving of 100gm: 250 calories
Preparation and Cooking Time: 1 hour
250 gms paneer
200 ml coconut cream
1 tbsp palm sugar
3 tablespoons dry roasted coconut
2 kafir lime leaves
10 shallots - cut into 4 pieces
5 pips garlic - cut into 4 pieces
1 in. young ginger - cut coarsely
1 in. fresh tumeric - cut coarsely
5 dried chillies, soaked in boiling water to soften, remove from water and cut each stalk in 4
2 stalks of lemon grass - only the bottom 2 inches - sliced thinly
1 in. galangal or old ginger - cut coarsely
3 kafir lime leaves - cut finely
5 red chillies - cut into 4
Enough water to make into a thick paste.
Grind all of the above into a fine paste.
1. Heat oil in a wok.
2. When oil is hot add in the paste, reduce heat to medium and cook till the oil is absorbed by the paste. Continue cooking till the oil is released from the paste.
3. Once the oil is released from the paste, add in the coconut cream, palm sugar and kafir lime leaves.
4. Cook this mixture over medium heat, as the sauces begin to reduce to about half the amount, add in the paneer and allow the paneer to simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the fire and add in the roasted coconut. Give it a good stir.
6. The dish can be served hot or at room temperature.
7. Serve with hot rice and vegetable dishes or as a filling for pita bread or use lettuce to wrap the paneer and some shredded vegetables.
Recipe from the kitchen of Uma Pushpanathan
Uma Pushpanathan is a global gourmand and arts enthusiast. Based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Uma fuses her South and South East Asian heritage into noteworthy efforts in the field of arts, philanthropy, old age issues and food. A renowned cook and hostess, Uma's kitchen is a reflection of her voracious mind and inherent curiosity about world culture through cuisine.
Post your comments
Unless you wish to remain anonymous, please provide your name and email id when you use the Anonymous profile in the blog to post a comment. All appropriate comments posted with name & email id in the blog will also be featured in the site.