Health Recipes 7: Crispy Fish with a Citrus Dressing
- Uma Pushpanathan
October 28, 2016
Per serving: 1.4Kj
Preparation and Cooking Time: 45 minutes
250 gms fish fillet (any white fish)
Enough oil for deep frying
1 big onion (sliced thin)
6 spring onions (sliced fine)
250 gms cucumber - (remove seeds and sliced thin)
I cup mint leaves (packed)
1 cup coriander leaves (packed)
3 tbsps peanuts (skinned and roasted coarsely)
2 tsps Lime rind (grated fine)
4. Birds eye chilli (cut fine)
To taste fish sauce
1/3 cup lime, lemon and orange juice (in equal amounts)
To taste, grated palm sugar
Put all the ingredients in a jar and give it a good shake and set aside
1. Heat the oven and grill the fish for 20 minutes until it is crisp on both sides. It can also be pan fried in a lightly oiled skillet.
2. Remove from oven and when slightly cooled break it up. Now put it into a food processor and pulse it till it resembles bread crumbs. Set it aside.
3. Heat enough oil to fry the fish in small batches until it is crispy. Best would be to take teaspoon full and drop it into the oil. Do not over crowd the skillet. Give the fish enough room to move. When ready drain on kitchen paper towels. Set aside.
4. In a bowl add in the onions, cucumber, mint leaves, and coriander leaves and dressing, give it a good toss.
5. Add in the fish, peanuts and lime zest, give it a light toss.
6. Serve at once.
* This goes well wrapped in lettuce leaves or serve with rice
** Fish can be fried a day in advance and kept in an air tight container
Recipe from the kitchen of Uma Pushpanathan
Uma Pushpanathan is a global gourmand and arts enthusiast. Based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Uma fuses her South and South East Asian heritage into noteworthy efforts in the field of arts, philanthropy, old age issues and food. A renowned cook and hostess, Uma's kitchen is a reflection of her voracious mind and inherent curiosity about world culture through cuisine.
Post your comments
Unless you wish to remain anonymous, please provide your name and email id when you use the Anonymous profile in the blog to post a comment. All appropriate comments posted with name & email id in the blog will also be featured in the site.