|April 6 - 30, 2015 Kerala, Odisha, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata|
Programs for Ileana Citaristi and Art Vision for April 2015
- 6th April, Puthur, Kerala: Ileana Citaristi performs Odissi solo for PUTHUR DANCE AND MUSIC FESTIVAL at Devi Bhagavati temple
- 8th April, Bhubaneswar: Art Vision organizes REMEMBERING GURUJI on the occasion of 11th death anniversary of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. The program will be inaugurated by eminent Odia writer Manoj Das who will release Ileana Citaristi’s autobiography ‘My Journey; a Tale of Two Births.’ This will be followed by the staging of Odissi dance choreography MAANA BHANJANA performed by senior students of Guruji and artists of Art Vision. The ballet is based on original script by Babaji Vaishnava Charan Das. At Rabindra Mandap, 7pm
- 10th April, Mumbai: Ileana Citaristi along with her disciple Upasana Mohanty, performs abhinaya compositions for ANUSARAN, a festival organized in memory of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. At Sangeet Mahabharati, 6,30pm
- 17th April, Jajpur, Odisha: Ileana Citaristi gives solo Odissi recital for the opening of Samarpanam, two days dance festival organized by Biswa Nrutyam Dance Institution at Sanskuti Bhawan Auditorium.
- 20th April, Kolkata: Italian Consulate in collaboration with ICCR, Kolkata chapter, presents an evening with Ileana Citaristi . Her solo recital will be preceded by the presentation of her autobiography with Ileana in conversation with Oindrilla Dutt. Chief Guest of the evening is eminent film director Gautham Ghose. At ICCR Auditorium, 7pm.
- 27, 28th April, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi lec-dem for Spic Macay series of concerts organized to celebrate World Dance Day at Sarbar Patel Vidyalay10am on 27th and D.A.V. Public School, Noida at 10am on 28th.
- 29th April, New Delhi: On the occasion of World Dance Day, Kri Foundation directed by Arshia Sethi, hosts an evening to present Ileana Citaristi’s autobiography. Chief speaker of the evening Dr. Kapila Vatsayan will introduce the book and Leela Venkataraman will be in conversation with the author. This will be followed by Ileana’s solo Odissi dance recital. At IIC Auditorium, 7 pm.
- 30th April, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi will chair an illustrated talk FROM MENAKA TO MALLIKA: THE JOURNEY OF DANCE IN INDIAN FILMS by Ratnottama Sengupta, film critic & curator, organized by, Kri Foundation. Chief Guest - Sharmila Tagore. At India Habitat Centre, 7pm
|April 7, 12-17 & 26, 2015 Trivandrum, Calicut & Bangalore |
Deepa Sashindran with Kuchipudi Parampara Foundation ensemble
- April 7, Trivandrum: Noopuradhwani Nrithyolsavam 2015- Thirthapada mandapam 6.30pm
- April 12-17, Calicut: Divinity in Kuchipudi workshop Series, Swathi Thirunal Kalakendram, 9am-7pm
- April 26, Bangalore: World Dance Day- Inaugural presentation at Alliance Francaise, an Ashish Mohan Khokar initiative,10.40am
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org /+919845315272
|April 8 - 30, Delhi, Ahmedabad, Orchha, Chidambaram|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha
- 8 April: As part of NGO Yogdan’s Sur Sringar event, following Pandit Madhup Mudgal’s Hindustani classical vocal concert, Geeta Chandran will perform solo Bharatanatyam at the Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (admission free)
- 13 – 16 April: Geeta Chandran will present illustrated lecture-demonstrations on Bharatanatyam for SPIC-MACAY, Ahmedabad Chapter
- 19 April: Geeta Chandran’s Natya Vriksha Dance Company performs for Prerana NGO at the Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, New Delhi. (admission free)
- 22 April: Geeta Chandran will perform in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh
- 24 April: Foundation for Universal Responsibility will host the Delhi premiere of VARA – A Blessing, an international film by award-winning Bhutanese Director, Rinpoche Kyentse Norbu. In VARA, Geeta Chandran plays the role of devadasi Vinatha. Her disciples at Natya Vriksha also have starred in this film. Venue: Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, Lodi Road, New Delhi 110003, 6.30pm. Entry free
- 25 & 26 April: Natya Vriksha’s WORLD DANCE DAY CELEBRATIONS 2015
Venue: India International Centre Auditorium, 40 Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003
- 30 April: Geeta Chandran and daughter/disciple Sharanya Chandran will perform at Chidambaram for the Mahakumbhabhishekham
Info: email@example.com / http://geetachandran.in
|April 14 - June 5, 2015 UK|
Divya Kasturi and Watford Palace Theatre presents ‘FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD?’
What happens when a stranger takes over your online identity? Do you find yourselves having to create innumerable number of usernames and passwords for almost every window that you end up opening online? Inspired by real –life experiences, this stunning theatrical-dance work explores issues of trust and identity integrating hologram technology, contemporary South Asian dance and mesmerising live vocals. Divya Kasturi has worked with Sir Paul McCartney and Nitin Sawhney. Her work uses digital technology that augments her unique movement style.
- April 14: Watford Palace Theatre, 01733 207239
- May 9: Key Theatre, Peterborough, 01733 207239
- May 12: The Place, London, 020 7121 1100 (includes a complimentary installation and a post show Q & A with the artistic team)
- June 5: Harlow Playhouse, 01279 431945
|April 15 - 29, 2015 Aurangabad|
Mahagami Team offers a galaxy of activities for World Dance Day celebrations. Since the past 18 years, Mahagami has been celebrating World Dance Day, and had pioneered to promote and create awareness about various dance traditions of India and to also establish a dialogue with society through dance through many social progress and festivals.In this connection, this month of April 2015 is bring marked by variety of events for the rasikas and dance enthusiasts:
- SAMBHAV: Dance outreach for Autistic children. (15 – 29 April)
A dance workshop focused on training, expression, creative quest, therapy and monument science is being conducted for local autistic children at Mahagami for 14 days which will be followed by a performance by them on 29 April (World Dance Day).
- PADARPAN: Dance Workshop for dance lovers (20 – 23 April)
A dance workshop open to all will be conducted at Mahagami, MGM Campus from 5 to 7pm. Interested participants may register and call 9372093189 for details.
|April 15 - May 12, 2015 USA|
Kuchipudi exponent Dr. Saraswathi Rajathesh tours USA for workshops and performances
USA contact: Bhagyashree Manohar 323-215-7576 / 323-272-3348 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Info: email@example.com / www.natyasaraswathi.com
|April 18 - May 1, 2015 New Delhi|
Schedule for Aditi Mangaldas
- April 18: Group performance in New Delhi
- April 27 – May 1: Choreographic work with Aakash Odedra for his new production
|April 22, 2015 Thiruvananthapuram|
Sangeet Natak Akademi, New Delhi, Kutiyattam Kendra (Centre for Kutiyattam), Thiruvananthapuram, & Dept. of Museums & Zoo, Govt. of Kerala presents their 72nd Paitruka kalasawadana program to disseminate Kutiyattam and allied arts featuring Nangiarkoothu RASACREEDA by Ammannur Chachu Chakyar Smaraka Gurukulam, Thrissur (Aparna Nangiar & troupe). Program to begin with the usual brief appreciation class.
At: Museum Auditorium, Govt Museum, Thiruvananthapuram, 6pm. All are welcome.
|April 22, 2015 Paris, France|
PRINCESS SITA, excerpt from Ramayana, shadow puppet theater of Kerala, Kathputli, Kathakali dance accompanied on tabla and rubab - Edith and Kengo Saito Alabaladejo
At: National Museum of Asian Arts - Guimet 6, 75116 Jena Place, Paris, 4pm
Information, reservations: 01 40 73 88 18 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 22 - 25, 2015 Bangalore|
World Dance Alliance-Karnataka Chapter in association with IGNCA announce ABHINAYA IN ASHTAPADI, an enriching and enlightening intensive workshop conducted by Dr. Sonal Mansingh. This workshop does not pertain to any particular dance form but treats in general the approach to Abhinaya in Ashtapadi by the legend herself.
At Smriti Nandan Auditorium, Vasantnagar from 10.45 am to 3.30pm.
For details: email@example.com
Call: 0 98455 55422 / 0 98453 35053
|April 23 - 26, 2015 Mumbai|
NCPA has curated five editions of the MUDRA DANCE FESTIVAL with outstanding artistes from all over India. It is one of NCPA’s main dance festivals held in April around International Dance Day every year.
- April 23: PITA - MAHATMYA by Lata Surendra & Sujatha Nair (Bharatanatyam & Mohiniattam)
KAUSUMBHAH- KANTI by Abhimanyu Lal & Vidha Lal (Kathak) at Experimental Theatre, 7pm
- April 24: SHYAM CHHABI by Pt. Birju Maharaj and Saswati Sen (Kathak) at Tata Theatre, 7pm
- April 25: KATHAK WORKSHOP by Pt Birju Maharaj, 12pm to 4pm at West Room
MAYURA KAUTVAM Lecture- Demonstration (Kuchipudi) by Vyjayanthi Kashi and Prateeksha Kashi at Tata foyer, 5pm to 6pm
SONGS OF LOVE AND LONGING by Surupa Sen and Bijayini Satpathy (Odissi) at Tata Theatre, 7pm
- April 26: CHITRA LOHITA by Vyjayanthi Kashi and Prateeksha Kashi (Kuchipudi) at Experimental Theatre, 7pm
Info: (022) - 22824567 / 66223724
|April 24, 2015 Washington, DC|
Kalanidhi Dance presents LEELA: PLAY OF THE DIVINE choreographed and performed solo by Chitra Kalyandurg in Kuchipudi style.
At: Sprenger Theatre, Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H Street NE, Washington, DC 20002, 8pm.
|April 25, 2015 New Delhi|
Natya Vriksha and Niyogi Books present the launch of writer/scholar Leela Venkataraman’s latest book INDIAN CLASSICAL DANCE: THE RENAISSANCE AND BEYOND in the presence of Dr. Kapila Vatsyayan, Pavan K Verma, Singhajit Singh and Lakshmi Vishwanathan
At: CD Deshmukh Auditorium, IIC, 40 Lodi Estate, 4pm
|April 25, 2015 Mumbai|
Shila Mehta & group perform MOODS SPECTRUM with Pt.Kalinath Mishra, Somnath Mishra, Saylee Talwalkar, Sangeet Mishra, Krupa Tendulkar, Spriha Kundu, Anushka Bhangale, Mansi Somaiya, Kavya Vaidya, Sugandha Burman, Parina Chavan.
At: ISKCON, Juhu, Mumbai, 6.30pm
|April 25, 2015 Santa Clara, CA|
Yuva Bharati presents MILAN, a confluence of Kathak and Odissi dances performed by teachers and senior students of 12 bay area Kathak and Odissi Schools. Featuring: California Nupur Dance Academy (Dipanwita Sen Gupta), Chhandam Youth Dance Company, Guru Shradha (Niharika Mohanty), iGurukul Foundation (Gayatri Joshi), Jyoti Kala Mandir (Jyoti Rout), Kathakars School Of Dance (Sayali Shetye Goswami), Odissi Vilas, Pampa Dance Academy, Shakti Bhakti (Revital Carroll), Shalini Saxena, Tarana Dance Academy, Tarangini (Anuradha Nag)
At: Mission City Center for Performing Arts, 3250 Monroe St, Santa Clara, CA 95051, 4pm
|April 25, 2015 Santa Ana, CA |
Schedule for Ramya Harishankar
- Annual Dia de los Niños, Santa Ana, CA
- Ekal Vidyalaya, Santa Ana, CA
|April 25 & 26, 2015 NYC|
DANCING THE GODS in New York.
- April 25: Rama Vaidyanathan and Dakshina Vaidyanathan in a Bharatanayam duet recital: DWITA - Duality of Life.
At: NYU Skirball Center, 8pm
- April 26: Prashant Shah, and the Parul Shah Company in traditional and contemporary Kathak: KADAMB AND BEYOND: A tribute to Kumudini Lakhia
At: NYU Skirball Center, 7pm
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
Every year on the International Dance Day, designated by UNESCO as April 29th, in honour of the French Ballet Master Jean George Nouverre, the Alliance Francaise de Bangalore, with Ashish Mohan Khokar, mounts a ‘danceathon’ (a marathon of dance!) where 108 dancers perform non-stop from 10am to 10pm. This year Sunday 26 April is chosen for the same. Many DHS members are shortlisted and auditioned for presentation. On the same day critics, scholars and dance historians meet and talk about dance matters with dancers, gurus, teachers and the press, sponsors, govt officials and patrons. This year, Dr. Githa Rajagopal’s book on Nagaswaram will be released and rare films on dance shown. Doordarshan telecasts the day's event live. A national seminar, rare films, and many solo and group presentations are part of the day, as also, books on dance at half price and dvds on dance for display and sale.
At: Alliance Francaise de Bangalore, 10am to 10pm
Become member of Attendance History Society
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
The 2015 issue of Attendance is to be out on World Dance Day. It is a yearbook that contains news, views, reviews and more! Historical data, useful information, book reviews, even obits. Many senior and serious dance writers contribute to make this yearbook - now in its 17th year - meaningful and memorable.
Endorsed as role-model journal on dance from India by UNESCO-CID, it has made serious inroads in research and outreach. It contains rare, archival pictures dovetailed with contemporary concerns and contexts. Articles bring alive history and heritage of Indian dance and also its global outreach and impact today.
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
Utsav Music (founded by Churchill Pandian in 1999) in association with Times of India celebrates International Dance Day, featuring Bharatanatyam duet by Lakshmi Gopalaswamy and Sathyanarayana Raju, Mohiniyattam by Jayaprabha Menon, Kathakali by Kalamandalam Manoj, Kathak Group by Hari - Chethna and troupe, Odissi Group by Madhulita Mohapatra and troupe
At: Phoenix Market City, 7pm to 9pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / +91 92821 22550
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
Dr. Suryaprasad Munikoti, musicologist, columnist and art critic, will be felicitated on his 60th birthday and for his contribution in the art field for the past 3 decades, by the music and dance fraternity of Karnataka.
At: Avani Sringeri Mutt, West of Chord Road, Mahalakshmipuram, Bangalore 560086, 9.30am
|April 26, 2015 Shimoga, Karnataka|
KATHAK DHARA by Alar Arvind and Chitra Arvind as part of Nrithya Kaumudi and World Dance Day celebration organized by Srivijaya Kalaniketana.
At: Pavithrangana, Rajendra Nagar, Shimoga, 6:30pm
Info: email@example.com / www.rhythmotion.org
|April 26, 2015 NYC|
The Metropolitan Museum of Art & Sunday at the MET present VEILED MOON, a dance-theater created by Preeti Vasudevan and her company Thresh on the life and works of Mah Laqa Bai Chanda, one of the most scintillating Muslim courtesans of 18th century southern India. Veiled Moon will be preceded by a talk about the history and culture of Hyderabad by the celebrated writer-storyteller William Dalrymple.
At: The Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, 3 – 4.30pm, free for the public.
|April 26, 2015 Chicago, IL |
Samskriti Foundation, Naperville IL presents RASAANUBHAVAM (Aesthetic experience) - an interactive exploration of 'Raga, Rasa, and Rhythm,' featuring eminent artists Chitravina N Ravikiran (Carnatic musician, Chennai), Sudha Chandrasekhar (Bharatanatyam dancer & Director of Hindu Temple Rhythms, Michigan), Maragatham Sundaresan (Sanskrit scholar, Chicago),Vinodh Gopinath (Mridangam artist, Chicago). Exciting finale with all artists coming together in an impromptu, real-time artistic collaboration.
Concept and Coordination: Shoba Natarajan
At: Madden Theater - North Central College, 171 Chicago Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540, 2pm to 5.30pm
For more info, contact Samskriti Foundation: (630) 527-1898; firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 26 & May 17, 2015 Bangalore|
TRIMADHURA, a Culmination of three journeys featuring Divya Ravi - Bharatanatyam, Hithaishy Dhanan - Kuchipudi, Vandana Supriya - Odissi
- 26th April, 6.30pm: Ramanavami Music Festival, Sri Vani Vidya Kendra, Basaveshwarnagar, Bangalore
- 17th May, 6.30pm: BTM Cultural Academy, BTM Layout, Bangalore
All are welcome.
|April 27, 2015 New Delhi|
Pallavi Odissi Nritya Sangeet Vidyalaya, Women Unlimited and IIC present HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOHRA, a celebration. Artistes pay tribute to Zohra Segal on her 103rd birth anniversary.
- 11am: Film interview with Kapila Vatsyayan, courtesy IGNCA
- 12pm: Reminiscences by Gauhar Raza and Roshan Seth
- 2.30pm: Feature film ‘Bhaji on the Beach’
- 5pm to 8pm: Performances featuring guitar western classical by Yogi Ponappa, recitation by Salma Raza, Odissi dance by Madhyama Segal, performance by Maya Rao, play by Tadpole Theatre Group
At: CD Deshmukh Auditorium, 40 Max Mueller Marg, New Delhi 110003. All are welcome.
|April 28, 2015 Gandhinagar, Gujarat|
Odissi dance lecture cum demonstration by Suprava Mishra and group. On this occasion Suprava Mishra will be awarded Artist of the year 2015.
At: University of Advanced Research, Puri Foundation, Gandhinagar, 6.30pm
Info: email@example.com / www.aumodissidance.com
|April 29, 2015 Chennai |
Utsav Music (founded by Churchill Pandian in 1999) in association with Times of India celebrates International Dance Day, featuring Bharatanatyam by Sheejith Krishna and troupe, Kuchipudi by Shallu Jindal, Kathak by Vidha Lal, Odissi by Arushi Mudgal, Mohiniattam by Miti Desai
At: Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, 7pm to 9pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / +91 92821 22550
|April 29, 2015 New Delhi|
World Dance Day is celebrated all over the globe on 29th April. To commemorate this occasion,
Sadhya is organizing a grand show titled NO BOUNDARIES bringing together around 100+ artistes in a unique manner. The spectrum that would be created would be a seamless visual treat of dance styles taking the audience to an enthralling journey. This was initiated by Santosh Nair four years back and has been celebrated ever since. The companies that shall be an integral part of celebration this year will be:
1. Sadhya, 2. Guru Saroja Vaidyanathan & group, 3. Guru Ranjana Gauhar & group, 4. Kalashram, 5. The Danceworx, 6. Big Dance Centre, 7. Urshilla Dance Company, 8. Sindhu Mishra & group, 9. Banjara School of Dance
Artistic director: Santosh Nair, Sadhya
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7.45pm
Info: email@example.com / www.sadhya.com
|April 29 - May 10, 2015 Bangalore, Tumkur|
Shrishti presents SHRISHTI VISHWA NRITHYA UTSAV 2015.
|April 29 - May 17, 2015 USA & Canada|
Urmila Sathyanarayanan’s upcoming tour to the US and Canada
- 29 April at 7pm: Memphis – India Cultural Center & Temple
- 1 May at 7pm: Palo Alto – Cubberley Community Center Theatre
- 2 May: San Diego
-3 May at 4:30pm: Los Angeles – Chinmaya Rameshwaram
-10 May at 6pm: Chicago – Pfeiffer Hall, North Central College
-16 May: Toronto
-17 May at 7pm: Calgary – Wrights Theatre, Mount Royal University
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 30, 2015 Bangalore|
NADAM presents an evening of abhinaya by Bharatanatyam dancer / guru Bragha Bessell from Chennai.
At: Seva Sadan, Malleswaram, Bangalore, 6:30pm
Info: 98802 01608 / email@example.com
|April 30, 2015 Birmingham|
Kathak dancer and choreographer Nahid Siddiqui presents MAATI (Earth), a new work in development, based on the writings of 17th century Eastern philosopher and poet Hazrat Bulleh Shah, whose poetry highlights his spiritual voyage through Sufism. Siddiqui uses the subtle nuances of Kathak to encapsulate the essence of the ‘Sufi’ folk spirit of the Punjab. The work seeks to unveil the phenomenon of the earth and how all life relates to it, while also posing questions about the fundamental truths of existence.
At: mac Birmingham, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham B12 9QH, 7pm