|March 15 - May 10, 2014 Malaysia |
Sutra Foundation presents Odissi production KRISHNA, LOVE RE-INVENTED, a timeless realm of Krishna-Gopis idyll where the real, imagined and fantasised are celebrated with complete abandon.
Artistic Direction: Ramli Ibrahim, Lighting Design: Sivarajah Natarajan
Artistes of Sutra Dance Theatre: Jagatheyswara, Geethika Sree, Sivagama Valli, Rathimalar Govindarajoo, Divya Nair, Tan Mei Mei, Gauthami, Nalisha, Hema Nair, Madhuryavalli, Mridulaa, Thrisherna, Jyotsnaa & Ramli Ibrahim
Penang: 15 March / Ipoh, Perak: 16 March
Kuching, Sarawak: 19 March / Kota Kinabalu, Sabah: 21 March
Kota Bharu, Kelantan: 18 April / Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu: 19 April
Malacca: 26 April / Seremban, Negeri Sembilan: 10 May
Info: email@example.com / +603 – 4021 1092
|April 1-5 & 30, 2014 MN, FL
Schedule for Aparna Ramaswamy
- April 1 - 5: SACRED EARTH, Duluth, MN
- April 30: SANNIDHI at Straz Center, Tampa, FL
|April 1 - 30, 2014 Imphal, Delhi, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar
Scholar and critic Dr. Sunil Kothari’s itinerary for April 2014
- April 1 to 5, Imphal: Jawaharlal Nehru Manipuri Dance Academy’s 60 years celebrations
festival / seminar
- April 5 and 6, New Delhi
- April 7 to 9, Bhubaneswar: Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra’s 10th death anniversary, Rabindra Mandap
- April 11, New Delhi: 11th Sangeet Natak Akademi Award ceremony, Rashtrapati Bhavan, 6pm
- April 12 to 17: Sangeet Natak Akademi awards Festival
- April 18 – 25, Bangalore: Odissi Dance Festival of Sanjali by Sharmila Mukerjee
- April 28 – 30, New Delhi: World Dance Day. Natya Vriksha screens film on Malavika Sarukkai at IIC on 28th, fest on next 2days
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 2 - May 10, 2014 Venice, Italy|
The third edition of NATYAKALA FESTIVAL of Indian classical Performing Arts is curated by Marianna Biadene. The program includes:
- Workshops and master classes in Bharatanatyam, Odissi, Chhau, Kuchipudi, Kathak
- Dance lec-dems by artists and teachers of international repute
- Natyakala Giornata di Studi: a one-day conference dedicated to traditional and contemporary practices of Indian performing arts. The conference panel includes a list of experts, contributors and visiting professors from various Italian universities
- Dance performances and music concerts with renowned artists from India.
|April 3 - 27, 2014 Delhi, NYC|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran & Natya Vriksha
- 3 April: Raza Foundation’s new journal SWARMUDRA jointly edited by dancer Prerana Shrimali and poet/author/writer Yatindra Mishra will be released by Dr. Yamini Krishnamurthi. Following the launch, there will be a discussion on PRESENCE & ABSENCE: CLASSICISM AND CRITICISM in which Geeta Chandran will participate along with Shubha Mudgal, Dr. Sunil Kothari and Manjari Sinha.
At: Alliance Francaise Hall, 72 Lodi Estate, New Delhi, 6pm
- 5 April: Geeta Chandran and Kathak dancer Uma Sharma will be honoured by Yamini Krishnamurthi at a function organized at Azad Bhavan, ICCR Hall, I.P. Estate, New Delhi 110002
- 21 April: Geeta Chandran will attend the North American premiere of VARA: A Blessing, the international film she has choreographed and acted in. VARA: A Blessing is directed by Bhutanese film director Khyentse Norbu. The film is based on a Bengali short story Rakta Aar Kanna (Blood and Tears) by Sunil Gangopadhyay, about the daughter of a devadasi, who falls in love with a Muslim sculptor. The film shot entirely in Sri Lanka stars Shahana Goswami, Devesh Ranjan, Mohamed Adamaly, Rohit Raj and Geeta Chandran in lead roles. In the film, Geeta plays the role of the devadasi dancer Vinatha. VARA was the opening film of 2013 Busan International Film Festival, where it received good reviews.
Venue: Tribeca Film Festival, New York.
- 26 & 27 April: Natya Vriksha presents World Dance Day celebrations at main auditorium of IIC, Delhi
Info: email@example.com / www.geetachandran.in
|April 4, May 2, June 6, 2014, NYC, New York |
Jiva Performing Arts presents classes in RAGAS AND RHYTHM FOR DANCERS
Instructor: Bala Skandan, Time: 6:30-7:30pm
Venue: Lighthouse International, 111 E 59th St. NYC 4th Floor Studio
|April 5 - 28, 2014 California
Schedule for Ramya Harishankar
- Apr 5: Multi Cultural Festival, University of Redlands, Redlands, CA
- Apr 20: Himalayan Festival, Laguna Beach, CA
- Apr 28: Lec dem, San Diego State U, San Diego, CA
|April 6 - 30, 2014 Bangalore |
Schedule for NIKC & Stem Dance Kampni
- April 6: Visual artiste Catrine Val is artist-in-residence to collaborate on an Indo-German art project.
- April 10: Final year students present their contemporary productions featuring themes ranging from human trafficking, global warming, LGBT rights, personal journeys, at Seva Sadan
- April 19 & 27: Madhu Nataraj speaks at seminars on topics such as evolving Indian classical dance, keeping traditions intact for World Dance Day and dance Today at the Pravaha Festival.
- April 21: NIKC presents Sanskrit plays PARTHA PARAKRAMA and PETIKA SANYASI at MES College.
- April 3rd week to Dec: A RETURN TO KATHAK WITH MA: Madhu Nataraj will present a series of Kathak performances for small audiences in studios and work spaces.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
|April 6 - May 3, 2014 Hyderabad, Bangalore, Varanasi, Chennai|
Schedule for Ananda Shankar Jayant and Shankarananda Kalakshetra
- April 6: NRITYOPAHARA by the Shankarananda Kalakshetra ensemble For SPICMACAY Festival, EFLU Campus, Hyderabad, 6.30pm
- April 8: Talk and performance for monster.com India, at Leonia, Hyderabad, 7pm
- April 9 & 10: Bharatanatyam workshop with Chitra Visweswaran, at Shankarananda Kalakshetra, Hyderabad
- April 18: MOHANA- KRSNA BECKONS by Shankarananda Kalakshetra ensemble, for ISKCON Brahmotsavam, Bangalore, 6.30pm
- April 20: THYAGARAJA RAMAYANAM for art festival at Sankat Mochan Temple, Varanasi, 7pm
- April 21 – 24: SPICMACAY tour in Varanasi
- April 21 – 24: Abhinaya and Bharatanatyam workshop at Department of Dance, Benares Hindu University, Varanasi
- April 30 – May 3: Workshop for young learners by Ananda Shankar Jayant, organized by ABHAI in Chennai
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.anandashankarjayant.com
|April 7 - 27, 2014 Bhubaneswar, Delhi, Bangalore, London |
Schedule for Ileana Citaristi
- April 7 - 9, Bhubaneswar: Art vision in collaboration with Srjan presents SAMSMARANAM on the 10th anniversary of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra’s passing.
At: Rabindra Mandap, 7pm
On 8th morning, musical program from 11am to 1pm and on 9th morning ‘Remembering Guruji’ by the participants and screening of a film on his life from 11am to 1pm.
- April 11 & 12, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi performs Odissi dance for Virasat series, Delhi Spic Macay chapter.
- April 12, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi dance for GURU PRANAM UTSAV organized by Vaishali Kala Kendra, Habitat Centre, New Delhi, 7pm
- April 17, Bangalore: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi compositions related to Lord Krishna for ISKCON Bangalore Brahmotsava at Sri Radha Krishna Chandra Temple, 6.30pm
- April 25 - 27, London: Ileana Citaristi holds an Odissi Dance Workshop for beginners and advanced at Liverpool Road Studios, London, jointly organized by Kadam and Akademi. For information and booking: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 11 - 27, 2014 USA|
Dr. Saraswathi Rajathesh, Director of Natyasaraswathi Bangalore, tours USA for dance recitals and workshops.
- April 11: Kuchipudi at St. Louis Dance Festival by Soorya Performing Arts, St.Louis, 6pm
- April 26 & 27: Dance feature at Park Labrea Community, Los Angeles, 6pm
Contact: 9880162774 / email@example.com (Bangalore) or 323-272-3348 / firstname.lastname@example.org (USA)
|April 11 - 29, 2014 Delhi |
The Embassy of France /Institut Français en Inde and the Alliance Française de Delhi celebrate performing arts in April with the contemporary dance festival DANSE DIALOGUES.
Entry Free. All are welcome on first come first seated basis. Children above 10 years of age are allowed.
- 11 April: BLACK PULP - Xin Company
At: FICCI auditorium, 6:30pm (50 min, contemporary)
A young and promising company led by a talented ex-member of the Ballet National de Marseille presents a show inspired by famous American pulp magazines.
- 14 April: SCREENING: PARADIS, by José Montalvo and Dominique Hervieu
At: Alliance Française de Delhi, 7pm
- 15 April: L’ÉTRANGER AU PARADIS INDIEN (‘Stranger in Indian paradise’) - David Rolland Chorégraphies Company and guest choreographers Padmini Chettur and Preethi Athreya
At: Kamani auditorium, 7 pm (1hr, contemporary)
The Indian version of ‘L‘étranger au paradis’is a unique project which invites 10 different dancers for each show to perform a perfectly precise choreography after only a few hours of rehearsal.
- 17 April: RHYTHM DIVINE - Astad Deboo
At: Kamani auditorium, 7pm (70 min, contemporary)
A fusion of modern and traditional moves, Astad creates a universe of its own while dancing along with 8 Manipuri Thang-Ta dancers, an exciting dance form that has been adapted from the ancient martial arts form of Manipur, in North East India.
- 23 April: CETTE IMMENSE INTIMITE (‘Huge intimity’) - Retouramont Company
Venue TBC, 7.30pm (duration: 1hr, aerial dance)
A beautiful outdoor show where the graceful dancer’s movements melt with light and gravity, placing the spectator very close to the dance, to verticality and to sensations. The performance will be preceded by a short screening about the company’s work.
- 24 April: SCREENING: A Panorama of Indian Contemporary Dance presented by Kri Foundation and Danz Lenz
At: Alliance Française Delhi, 7pm
- 25 April: RECITAL - Käfig Company & The Danceworx
At: Abhimanch auditorium, NSD, 7 pm (50 min, hip-hop)
Number one in French hip-hop, Mourad Merzouki started his successful career with a show called ‘Récital,’ a funny union where the energy of hip-hop mingles with the tones of violin and a talk box, initiating a confrontation between two worlds: concerto and hip-hop dance.Concerned by the idea of sharing around the practice of dance and involving local dancers, Mourad transmitted ‘Récital’ to a troupe of Indian dancers from the Delhi based The Danceworx
- 28 April: SCREENING: BLANCHE-NEIGE, by Angelin Preljocaj
At: Alliance Française Delhi, 7pm
- 29 April: NOS SOLITUDES (‘Our solitudes’) - A.I.M.E. Company
At: Kamani auditorium, 7 pm (50 min, contemporary)
A reflection on loneliness and weightlessness by renowned dancer and choreographer Julie Nioche, ‘Nos solitudes’ is a choreographic work conceived around a suspended body. In this new space and gravity ratio, the moving body experiences loneliness while the strings of a guitarist resound in a dream-like dialogue.
Ph: (011) - 30410016 / 30410000 / e-mail: email@example.com
|April 16, April 24 -May 17, 2014 Delhi & Switzerland|
INHABITED GEOMETRY - In a black and white space, the delicate and clearly defined contours of six dancers engender rapidly flowing movements to create a highly elaborate universe. Inhabited Geometry generates spaces that evoke both home and homeland, but which also make room for individuality, friction and conflict. The multimedia design compresses and layers the choreography using cinematic spaces, allowing the dancers to merge with the transient imagery. Inspired by Gaston Bachelard's Poetics of Space, the piece uses Bharatanatyam as a metaphor for architectural spaces waiting to be inhabited. This is the premiere of the extended version of the original piece which was created in 2010 with the support of Goethe-Institut/ Max Mueller Bhavan.
Choreography: Mandeep Raikhy
Performance: Manju Sharma, Devaraj Thimmaiah, Chandana Sarma, Lalit Khatana, Rajat Bakshi & Mandeep Raikhy
Music: Ish Shehrawat + diFfuSed beats (Sound Reasons), Multimedia design: Chris Ziegler
Lighting design: Rajesh Singh, Photography” Desmond Roberts
On Apr 16 at Kamani Auditorium, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi 110001, 7.30pm
This performance will be followed by a 6-city tour in Switzerland as part of DANCE FESTIVAL STEPS between 25 April- 6 May 2014.
|April 17 - May 9, 2014 Delhi, Sweden, Latvia |
- RHYTHM DIVINE a work choreographed by Astad Deboo with the drummers of Shree Nat Sankirtan of Guru Seityaban Singh is presented by the Embassy of France, Institute Francais and the Alliance Francaise New Delhi on the 17th April at the Kamani Auditorium at 7pm under the Umbrella of Danse Dialogues.
- The group performs in Sweden at the Moderna Musset on the 25th April in Stockholm.
- Astad performs his solo DANCE EXPRESSION at Gothenburg on April 26, in Stockholm at the Danse Hus on April 28, 29th at Riga in Latvia on April 29.
- On May 7 at Upsalla when the bust of Tagore will be unveiled, Astad presents a short work of INTERPRETING TAGORE.
|April 18 & 24, 2014 Mumbai|
Schedule for Jhelum Paranjape
- April 18: Debi Basu, Daksha Mashruwala & Jhelum Paranjape along with their students present ANUSARAN on the occasion of the tenth death anniversary of their Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra
At: Venue: Pranganga, Bhavans Cultural Centre, Andheri West, Mumbai, 7pm
- April 24: Solo performance by Jhelum Paranjape in the MUDRA FESTIVAL organised by NCPA on theme of Motherhood. Jhelum will be accompanied by her son Bunkim as the lead vocalist for her solo performance (mother & son combination befitting the motherhood theme).
Venue: Experimental Theatre, NCPA, Mumbai, 7pm
email: firstname.lastname@example.org / (022) - 2661 6398 / 5463
|April 19 - 29, 2014 Bangalore |
Schedule for Sharmila Mukerjee & Sanjali Centre for Odissi Dance
- April 19: PRAVAHA 2014- an Odissi Dance Festival (in memory of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra) presented by Sanjali Centre for Odissi Dance
Morning session 10am - 12.30pm: Seminar on dance on theme Evolving Indian classical dance, keeping traditions intact
Speakers: Usha RK, Poornima Gururaj, Vyjayanthi Kashi, Veena Murthy Vijay, Ranjana Gauhar, Madhu Nataraj, Dr. Sunil Kothari
Evening session: Performances by Sanjali Dance Ensemble.
Duet performance by Saswati Garai Ghosh and Neelay Sengupta (students of Sharmila Biswas, Kolkata)
Solo performance by Ranjana Gauhar (New Delhi)
At: Seva Sadan, Malleswaram
- April 27, Bangalore: The Sanjali Dance Ensemble and Sharmila Mukerjee perform at Alliance Francaise, Thimmaiah Road, Vasanthanagar, for World Dance Day at 2.20pm
- April 29, Bangalore: The Sanjali Dance Ensemble perform for World Dance Day at Indirangar Sangeeth Sabha, 7pm
|April 20 - 26, 2014 Puttur, Karnataka|
Noopura Bhramari presents NATYA CHINTANA in collaboration with Kalashraya, Shri Mookambika Cultural Academy, Puttur. This year both organisations collectively plan to hold a (theory/practical) week-long workshop on Natyasastra ( in Kannada language) for the students and teachers from April, 20, 2014 onwards at Darbe, Puttur. On this occasion special lecture demonstration on 'Aesthetics of Nritya' (Nritya Soundarya) will be hosted on inaugural day. Dr. Shobha Shashikumar gives the lecture-demo followed by Bharatanritya performance. Vidwan Korgi Shankaranarayana Upadhyaya's presence will be beneficial to students. As this workshop is communicative in its structure, each day has 2 hour lecture along with 90 minutes practical sessions based on Natyasastra. Different tales on Indian context helps for choreography and dance direction.
For details and enrollment fee, contact: Deepak Kumar, Director, Shri Mookambika Cultural Academy: +91 9964023548
|April 21 & 28, May 5 & 12, 2014 NYC|
Dance Films Association presents TRANSLATING MOVEMENT INTO A CINEMATIC SEQUENCE with Kelly Bartnik, Geoff Ehrlich, and Tori Sparks, "Four-class series in the art of dance-film making, devoted to the process of watching, analyzing, filming and translating existing movement material into a viable cinematic film sequence." Attendees will then be guided through a hands-on process of being presented with a choreographic sequence which they will dissect and capture through their own deciphered approach; the results then being presented for discussion and feedback.
- April 21, April 28, May 5, and May 12, from 7pm - 9pm each night
$175 for Members, $250 for Non-Members / Must be able to attend all 4 session
Made in NY Media Center by IFP, 30 John Street, Dumbo, Brooklyn, 11201
- May 7, 6:30pm, Free
ONE DAY PINA ASKED...
A film by Chantal Akerman (France, 1983, 57 minutes), Part of Gibney Dance Center’s Sorry I Missed Your Show. Post-Screening discussion with Josephine Decker and Sylvie Vitaglione
moderated by Brighid Greene. A fortuitous encounter between two icons of film and dance, Pina Bausch and Chantal Akerman, One Day Pina Asked… is Akerman’s singular look at the work of the remarkable choreographer and her Wuppertal Tanztheater during a five-week European tour. More than a conventional documentary, Akerman’s film is a journey through her world, a world composed of striking images and personal memories transformed. Capturing the company’s rehearsals and including performance excerpts from signature works such as Komm Tanz Mit Mir (Come Dance with Me, 1977) and Nelken (Carnations, 1982), the director applies her unique visual skills to bring us close to her enigmatic subject. An Icarus Films release.
|April 22, 2014 Chennai|
Shobana presents SAMADHINA or Trance, a music-dance extravaganza in aid of Cancer Care of Policemen families. Shobana collaborates with pianist Anil Srinivasan, Vijay Ghate (tabla) and Sanjoy Das (guitar), Kyun Woo Chung from Korea.
At: The Music Academy, 7pm. Ticketed show
Info: 97907 84585
|April 24 - 30, 2014 Mumbai|
NCPA’s MUDRA DANCE FESTIVAL 2014 has been woven around the theme of motherhood, which has a complex relationship with dance. Most dancers owe their dance careers to the support they have received from their mothers, but as adults the decision of stepping into motherhood becomes one of the most challenging decisions for them.
Concept: Swapnokalpa Dasgupta
- Apr 24, Experimental Theatre, 7pm: WHAT IS MOTHERHOOD? by Jhelum Paranjape and Bunkim..
- Apr 24, Experimental Theatre, 8pm: THE MOVING ROOTS - TAA by Padma Sharma with Gauri Sharma Tripathi and Tarini Tripathi. The performance would conclude with a discussion with noted dancer choreographer Lata Surendra and the artistes of the evening.
- Apr 25, Experimental Theatre, 7pm: DWITA: DUALITY OF LIFE by Rama Vaidyanathan & Dakshina. Bharatanatyam performed by Rama Vaidyanathan and Dakshina Vaidyanathan with
nattuvangam – Karaikudi Sivakumar, vocal – K Venkateshwaran, mridangam – Arun Kumar
flute – Rajat Prasanna. The evening concludes with Rama Vaidyanathan, her mother Madhavi Gopalakrishnan and daughter Dakshina in conversation with Mumbai based dance artiste Prachi Saathi.
- Apr 26, Experimental Theatre, 7pm: CIRCLES OF LOVE: Dance, Poetry and… by Anita Ratnam and Malavika Sangghvi (http://ncpamumbai.com/events-festivals.aspx?e=469&s=874). The evening concludes with a discussion with Anita Ratnam, her daughter Arya and noted author Malavika Sangghvi.
- Apr 27, Experimental Theatre, 7pm: SANGACHHADHWAM by Sujata Mohapatra and Preetisha Mohapatra. An evening of Odissi margam by the mother daughter duo presenting exquisite compositions of Bhubaneswar Mishra and Raghunath Panigrahi and choreographies of Kelucharan Mohapatra and Ratikant Mohapatra. The evening concludes with a discussion with Sujata Mohapatra and Preetisha moderated by Swapnokalpa Dasgupta.
- Apr 29, Stuart Liff Library, 7pm: Talk on World Dance Day
Mudra 2014 will conclude with a unique opportunity to interact with some eminent dancers, gynaecologists and paediatricians who will talk on the difficult questions faced by a dancer on how to balance motherhood and a full-time dance career. The talk will be conducted by dancer Gauri Sharma Tripathi.
- Apr 30, Sea View Room: Odissi Dance & Makeup Workshop
Odissi Abhinaya workshop to be conducted by Sujata Mohapatra, and the make-up workshop with a supervised photo-shoot by Dr. Barnali Mitra and Dr Pillai.
Registration fees: Rs. 4000. For registration, contact Binaifer Bhesania on 9869112010
Info: (022) - 22824567, 66223724
|April 25, 2014 Kolkata |
Rabindranath Tagore Centre, ICCR, Kolkata presents in its Horizon Series USHA, a choreographic presentation in Mohiniattam exploring the Usha and Ratri Suktas of Rg Ved by Natyanova Performing Arts Centre. And MHARO PRANAM, guest performance by Nicole Cox, a Fulbright Scholar trained in Kathak by Kumudini Lakhia. Usha is praised in the Rgveda as the Goddess removing darkness, as the one who wakes up the one who is sleeping or Ratri, beautiful dancer and energising warrior woman; one who bestows prosperity, spreading light through the end of her garment, connecting earth to the regions above. Natyanova Performing Arts Centre is a leading repertory in Mohiniattam, spearheaded by Priyadarshini Ghosh as Artistic Director and Mohana Iyer as Associate Director.
At: Rabindranath Tagore Centre, ICCR, Kolkata, 7pm
Info: email@example.com / www.priyadarshinig.com
|April 25, 2014 Pune|
Nritarutya performs at the Prayatna Film and Dance Festival, Pune
|April 25, 2014 Stockholm, Sweden|
Astad Deboo, among India’s best contemporary dancers has choreographed RHYTHM DIVINE with Manipuri Pung Cholam drummer dancers, combining Manipuri martial arts tradition and rhythm with classical Indian dance movements, adding a modern sensibility which makes this a truly unmissable performance.
At: Moderna Museet, Exercisplan 4, 11149 Stockholm, Sweden, 7pm
|April 26, 2014 Mumbai
Anita Ratnam presents her new work CIRCLES OF LOVE (part of Mudra Dance Festival 2014)
A woman as mother, giver of life, psychic gardener, caretaker of lives and terrifying protector. These are some of the character arcs quilted by Anita Ratnam in CIRCLES OF LOVE, a performance that weaves story, diary, movement and life into a living tapestry. As daughter, wife, mother and grandmother, the various shades of maternal joy and grief will be shared in an interdisciplinary performance informed by myth, memory and humour.The evening concludes with a discussion with Anita Ratnam, her daughter Arya and noted author Malavika Sangghvi.
At: NCPA Experimental Theatre, 7pm
|April 26, 2014 NYC |
World Music Institute presents Rahul Acharya and Vidhya Subramanian in DANCING THE GODS in a double bill for the first day of their festival. Rahul Acharya brings a chiseled masculinity to the quintessentially feminine Odissi and Vidhya Subramanian is a bold interpreter of the classically paradigmatic Bharatanatyam. Prior to the show there will be an onstage lecture-performance on ‘The Music of Indian Dance’ by dancer/storyteller Rajika Puri (also Co-curator for the festival).
At: Skirball Centre, 566 LaGuardia Pl, New York University, New York, NY 10012
7pm: Lecture, 8pm: Performance
Tickets: $35, $40 / WMI Friends $30, $35, bring a kid! $5
|April 26, 2014 Chicago|
YASHODHARA is co-presented by Natya and the Sri Venkateswara Swami (Balaji) Temple, about the story of Yashodhara, the abandoned wife of the Buddha. Performed by Mythili Prakash, Amrita Murali and Gowri Ramnarayan.
Script, music and direction: Gowri Ramnarayan
At: Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple, 1145 West Sullivan Rd, Aurora, 6pm
Tickets: VIP 50$, general 25$ & 15$, Students 10$, children 5 and under free
Info: 312.212.1240 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 26, 2014 San Jose, CA |
SĀDHIKĀ - DEVOTEE features Bharatanatyam solo by Mythili Kumar & opening performance by Abhinaya company dancers
At: School of Arts & Culture @ Mexican Heritage Plaza, 1700 Alum Rock Ave., San Jose, CA 95116, 6:30pm
Tickets: Advance: $15 General & $10 Student/Senior
At the door: $20 General & $15 Student/Senior
Info: email@example.com / www.abhinaya.org
|April 26, 2014 Santa Clara, CA|
Yuva Bharati presents Kathak recital EKAKAAR by Uma Dogra and Charlotte Moraga
At: Mission Center for the Performing Arts, 3250 Monroe St,N, Santa Clara, CA, 4pm
|April 26, 2014 Pensacola, FL|
Natya Dance Theatre Company performs new work as well as favorites from the repertory. Timeless narratives for our times.
At: Pensacola State College, 1000 College Blvd, Pensacola, FL 32504, 7.30pm – 9pm
www.pensacolastate.edu/lyceum / (850) 484-1000
For info, contact Bill Jordan: (312) 212-1240 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 26 - 29, 2014 Aurangabad & Mumbai|
- 26-27 April: Mahagami presents INDIAN DANCE BEYOND BORDERS, dance festival showcasing Indian classical dance performances of foreigners. Jin Shanshan (China) – Bharatanatyam, Munmun Ahmed (Bangaldesh) – Kathak, Silvia Vona (Italy) – Odissi, Artur Przybylski (Poland) – Kathak, Vinod Kevin (West Indies) - Odissi
At: Rukmini Sabhagriha, MGM, Aurangabad, 7pm
- 28 April: Dance Festival at Navi Mumbai at Vishnudas Bhave Natyagrih, Vashi, 7.30pm
- 29 April: Lec-dem by Parwati Dutta, - the Director & Guru of Mahagami. She will present an interactive and informative performance along with her disciples on VISION OF INDIAN DANCE. Tracing concepts from shastras, she will take the audience through an artistic journey tracing 1000 years of dance-creations. Some of her recent compositions will be presented that are contemplative, research-oriented and have a fresh approach to the traditional format of Odissi without any trace of modern experimentation.
Info: email@example.com / 9372093189, (0240) - 6421054 (ext 31,33)
|April 27, 2014 Bangalore|
Chitra Arvind performs contemporary dance as part of World Dance Day Celebrations conducted by Ashish Mohan Khokar.
At: Alliance Francaise, Bangalore
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.rhythmotion.org
|April 27, 2014 Delhi|
Kiran Segal presents RAMAYANA at IIC, 40 Max Mueller Marg, New Delhi 110003, 7pm
|April 27, 2014 Ernakulam, Kerala|
Snigdha Sinha performs at NAATYA KOUSTHUB NRITHYOTSAV, 2nd Indian Classical Dance Festival at Ernakulam, Kerala, 7.30pm
|April 27, 2014 NYC|
World Music Institute presents Janaki Rangarajan and Shambhavi Dandekar in a double bill for the second day of their DANCING the GODS festival. Dandekar brings a communicative ease to her recitations of alliterative poetry, as well as her abhinaya, typical of the north Indian Kathak form. Janaki Rangarajan lights up the dynamic flow of her rhythms and explores creativity without compromising on the classicism of her Bharatanatyam. Prior to the show there will be an onstage lecture-performance on ‘The Music of Indian Dance’ by dancer/storyteller Rajika Puri (also Co-curator for the festival).
At: Skirball Center NYU, 566 LaGuardia Pl, New York, NY.
6pm: Lecture, 7pm: Performance
Tickets: $35, $40 / WMI Friends $30, $35, bring a kid! $5
|April 27 & 28, 2014 Hyderabad|
ICCR and Sri Sai Nataraja Academy of Kuchipudi dance present SANGEETHA NATYA HELA
- April 27: Carnatic vocal by Swetha Prasad, Kathak dance by Moumala Nayak, Kuchipudi by Lalitha Sindhuri
- April 28: Carnatic vocal by Swarna Mangalampally, Bharatanatyam by Uma Govind, Kuchipudi by PVSE Haripriya
At: Thyagaraja Gaana Sabha, Chikkadpally, Hyderabad, 6pm
|April 28 - May 15, 2014 Toronto, Canada|
Four children work together to escape life on the streets of Kolkata, in YPT’s world premiere of playwright Anusree Roy’s SULTANS OF THE STREET. Directed by Nina Lee Aquino, this poignant and uplifting tale will be presented on the Mainstage. Four children from different social classes – two with the desire to purchase better kites, two with the simple wish to attend school – are trapped in a world of begging on the streets of Kolkata. Dressed as gods they bless the generous and threaten to curse those who are not. Together, the quartet must work to escape servitude to the mysterious “Aunty” and set a course for a new life. Anusree hopes that young audiences in Canada can learn from these characters in Kolkata is an awareness of how other children around the world live. How their lives operate, what their daily struggles are and where they get their courage from. With Colin Doyle, Mina James, Richard Lee, Ali Momen and Zorana Sadiq.
Performances: Apr. 28 & 29 @ 10:15am / Apr. 30 & May 1 at 1pm & 7pm / May 6, 8, 13 & 15 @ 10:15am & 1pm / May 7, 9 & 14 @ 10:15am / May 3, 4, 10 & 11 @ 2pm
At: Young People’s Theatre, 165 Front Street East, Toronto ONM5A3Z4
Info: email@example.com / 416.363.5131
|April 29 & 30, 2014 London, UK|
Mayuri Boonham and Atma Dance present EX NIHILO and THE HUMAN EDGE, where Boonham draws on the epic creation myths of sacred Indian texts.
At: Linbury Studio Theatre, Royal Opera House, London, 7.30pm
|April 29 - May 6, 2014 Bangalore|
Shristi is organising eight days dance festival SHRISTI VISHWA NRITHYA SAPTAAH 2014 to celebrate World Dance Day. Shristi National Achievement Award for dance will be conferred on Manju Bhargavee on 1st May.
- April 29, National Gallery of Modern Art Manikyavelu Mansion, 49 Palace Rd
4pm: Invocation by Geetha Srikrishna, inauguration of festival
4.30pm: Archana & Chetana (BN), disciples of Banumathi
5pm: Richa Srivatsava (Kathak), disciple of Shila Mehta
5.40pm: A.V. Satyanarayana in Mahan Buddha, solo
6.10pm: Suhani (BN), disciple of Dr. Sandhya Purecha
- May 1, HN Kalakshetra National College, Jayanagar
4pm: Shekar Dance Academy (BN) / 4.30pm: Sagar & group, Tumkur (BN)
5pm: Debjaya Sarkar (Kathak), disciple of Alok Choudary
6pm: Shristi Award presentation to Manju Bhargavee
6.30pm: Mahan Buddha by Shristi, Direction: Dr. AV Satyanarayana
7.15pm: Manju Bhargavee & group (Kuchipudi dance drama)
- May 2, HN Kalakshetra National College, Jayanagar
5pm: Dimpee Baishya (Sattriya), disciple of Jatin Goswami
5.30pm: Pinky Choudhary (Kathak), disciple of Ashok Kumar
6pm: Sukanya (BN), disciple of Priyadarsini Govind
6.30pm: Mahan Buddha, solo by Dr. AV Satyanarayana
7pm: Nandini Chakraborti (Kathak), disciple of Madhumita Roy
7.40pm: Abhivyakthi (Manasi Pandya), Odissi
- May 3, Ravindra Kalakshetra, JC Road
5pm: Kirthana (BN) / 5. 20pm: Pravasargi (BN), Visakhapatnam
5.50pm: Surajit Deb Barma, Manipuri
6.10pm: Krithika Ganesh (BN), disciple of Sanjay Shantaram
6.30pm: Richa Gupta (Kathak), disciple of Bhai Manoj Gangani
7.10pm: Sinnni Joshi (BN), disciple of Padmini Ramachandran
7.30pm: Sukruti Tirupattur (BN) / 8pm: Sharmila Gupta & group (BN)
- May 4, National Gallery of Modern Art Manikyavelu Mansion, 49 Palace Rd
4pm: Aishwarya Mohan (BN) / 4.30pm: Vaanishree (BN), disciple of Revathi Narasimhan
5pm: Sucheta Raguram (Kuchipudi), disciple of Manju Bhargavee / 5.30pm: Surjit Sarkar (BN)
6pm: Rashmi (Kuchipudi) / 6.30pm: Maya Dance ensemble
- May 4, H.N. Kalakshetra National College, Jayanagar
6pm: Shantha and Sharanya (BN)
6.30pm: Anupama Verma (Kuchipudi), disciple of Manju Bhargavee
7pm: Murugashankari Leo (BN) / 7.40pm: T. Reddy Lakshmi (Kuchipudi)
- May 5, Ravindra Kalakshetra, JC Road
5.30pm: Ashwini Rathnam (BN), disciple of Mamatha Karanth
6pm: Deepa Bhat, Nrithyakuteera (BN) / 6.30pm: Dharani & group dance drama
7pm: Roopa Rohit (BN), disciple of Praveen Kumar / 7.30pm: Manjushree Manju (BN)
8pm: Saraswathi Rajateesh (Kuchipudi)
- May 6, Ravindra Kalakshetra, JC Road
5pm: Anupama Bushan (Kuchipudi) / 5.30pm: Anjana Ramesh(BN)
6pm: Preeti Sharma (Kathak) / 6.40pm: Dr.A.V.Satyanarayana presents Mahan Buddha
7.10pm: Sucheta Raguram (Kuchipudi) /7.30pm: Sanjali Center for Odissi Dance, Sharmila Mukerjee
8pm: Sangeeta Iyer (Mohiniattam)
|April 30 - May 7, 2014 Chennai|
ABHAI presents SUMMER ABHIVRIDDHI SHAALA, learning from veteran gurus.
- Apr 30 – May 4: Ananda Shankar Jayant (for dancers between 11 – 15 years), from 4pm – 6pm
- May 1 – 3: Padma Subrahmanyam, from 9am – 11am
- May 5 – 7: Vyjayanthimala Bali, from 9am - 11am
- May 4: Interactive seminar, 9am – 1pm
At: The Grove School, Eldams Rd, Chennai 600018
Last date for registration: April 20, 2014
Info: (044) - 24994751 / firstname.lastname@example.org