|September 1, 2015 Bangalore|
Sai Arts International presents SAI NRITYOTSAV 76 featuring:
Supritha Aithal, disciple of Nandini Eswar, Bharatanatyam
Shwetha Krishna & Divya T Prasad, disciples of Sharmila Mukerjee, Odissi
Disciples of Dr. Suparna Venkatesh, Bharathanatyam
Namitha Nagabhusan, disciple of Vasantha Laxmi, Bharatanatyam
Aarthi Velan, disciple of Dr. Shobha Shashikumar, Bharatanatyam
At: The Indian Institute of World Culture, B.P. Wadia Road, Basavanagudi, 5pm
|September 1, 2015 Chennai|
Kalakshetra Foundation /College of Fine Arts takes great pleasure in inviting all art fraternity and friends of Kalakshetra to join the present staff, students, all inmates and old alumnus, to REMEMBER S.SARADA (affectionately known as Periya Sarada) ON HER 100TH BIRTH DAY (Centenary year). A gala tribute to a scholar par excellence and true Achaarya who stood through thick and thin by the side of Rukmini Devi from the inception (founding) of the great institution in 1936.
At: Rukmini Arangham, Kalakshetra, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai 600041, 6.30pm
|September 1 - October 4, 2015 Malaysia|
Kuala Lumpur International Arts Festival 2015 (KLIAF) will present new works from Aswara, Dua Space Dance Theatre, Temple of Fine Arts, Alamak Wakaka, Sutra Foundation, MyDance Alliance and UPSI which in turn will collaborate with their own pool choreographers and artist talents. GuoGuang Opera (Taiwan) from Taiwan and Aseema Trust (Chennai) lead the way to show us how Chinese Opera and Indian folk dance can be relevant and simultaneously be part of current contemporary traditions. We are also presenting individual artists in special signature programs to link the diverse genres of dance-theatre. Hema Nandhini (Bharatanatyam), Kimball Gallagher (international pianists), Chaing YiLing (soprano), Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath will give the accent and flavour for a truly comprehensive festival. Except for one solo Bharatanatyam by Hema Nandhini and Ganjam (Odissi) by Sutra, most of the works have a distinctive contemporary thrust. As curator of the dance component of KLIAF, Sutra Foundation has commissioned major dance players in Malaysia – institutions and their artistic directors, individual choreographers, composers, lighting and set designers – to synergise in an integrated effort to give KLIAF a truly original and stimulating artistic fiesta.
Ramli Ibrahim has commissioned 12 ground-breaking new dance theatre productions which showcase new trends in choreography in contemporary modern and traditional dance genres. The world premieres of such varied productions and the exploration of extensive talents in dance, music and costume design provide this Festival with significant content in exploration of the thematic thrust of the Festival, which is to ‘Re-discover our Heritage’ in the nation’s performing arts.The ambitious line-up in this genre will include 12 brand-new festival -commissioned full-length dance productions.
- Sept 2 – 5: My Dance Alliance presents world premiere of TEPAK TARI (contemporary dance), produced & curated by Bilqis Hijjas, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 6: PATH OF DISCOVERY (music, dance, theatre). Pianists Kim Gallagher, Kai-Yin Huang, soprano YiLing Chaing, actors and dancers, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 8 – 11: World premiere of SIRIYAMMA SIRI (contemporary traditional folk) directed by VR Devika, Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 12: Aseem Trust presents world premiere of ULVILI conceived and performed by Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 13: Bharatanatyam by Hema Nandini, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 7.30pm
- Sept 16 & 17: Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris presents world premiere of GEMA SILAPIN (Malaysian traditional dance) choreographed by Abdul Hamid Chan, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 18 – 20: Temple of Fine Arts presents NEO MARGAM by Shankar Kandasamy, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 19 & 20: World premiere of PAK PANDIR YO! (Malaysian modern dance) Choreographed by Alam Wakaka, Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, 3pm / 8pm
- Sept 23, 25 – 27: World premiere of GANJAM in Odissi by Sutra Dance Theatre, artistic direction by Ramli Ibrahim, dance composition by Guru Gajendra Panda. Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, 8.30pm
- Sept 25 – 27: Malaysia premiere of YOUNG CURTAIN by Guo Guong Opera Company (Taiwan) -Chinese contemporary opera theatre. Auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm (Sept 25 & 27), 3pm & 8.30pm (Sept 26)
- Oct 1 - 4: World premiere of THE TREE by Dua Space Dance Theatre, direction & choreography by Anthony Meh and Aman Yap, Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, Oct 1 & 2: 8.30pm, Oct 3 & 4: 3pm & 8.30pm
- Oct 2 – 4: World premiere of ADUH, SEROJA by Aswara, choreographed by Safini Jaafar, directed by Dr. Joseph Gonzales, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
|September 2 - 5, 2015 New Delhi|
Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra presents dance drama KRISHNA, depicting his fascinating life, abounding with legends, myths, miracles and adulation, portraying the fascinating journey of the playful icon from his adorable childhood and youthful antics, to the centre stage of human reverence. The presentation is produced and directed by Shobha Deepak Singh.
At: Kamani Auditorium, 6.30pm, with additional shows at 3pm on September 4 and 5. Ticketed show.
Info: (011) – 43503333 /23386428/ 29
|September 2 - 6, 30, 2015 Mumbai & Pune|
Schedule of Smitalay & Jhelum Paranjape for August 2015:
- Sept 2, 7pm: Performance during the Zee Marathi Award Function “Uncha Mazha Zhoka” for women in social work, at Kashinath Ghanekar Sabhagriha, Thane West.
- Sept 4-6: Odissi Workshop conducted by Jhelum Paranjape at Maher Bunglow, Nirmal Baug Society, behind Muktangan School, Parvati Paaythaa, Pune. Fun with basics for juniors 10.30am to 1pm. Lunch break 1 to 2pm, Kalavati pallavi for seniors 2 to 6pm. Seniors are welcome to join the Juniors. Contact: 9422255341 (Varda), 9730221122 (Aparna).
- Sept 30, 11am: SAVITRI VADATEY for Ramabai Paranjape Balmandir at Vile Parle West, Mumbai.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.smitalay.com
|September 3, 2015 Chennai|
REMEMBERING GURU M.V. NARASIMHACHARI (Aug 22, 1942 - Aug 19, 2015), eight premier organisations are coming together to celebrate the life and works of this great guru.
At: Rukmini Arangham, Kalakshetra, Thiruvanmiyur, 6pm
|September 3-11, 2015 Argentina|
Janaki Rangarajan conducts workshops and presents solo Bharatanatyam performances.
|September 4, 2015 London|
Akademi presents its two choreographic commissions: CHOREOGATA and UTKARSH. Choreogata is an exciting platform for emerging choreographers to create and perform original contemporary dance work. This year’s selected artists are Kamala Devam and Subhash Viman. Utkarsh is a new classical choreographic commission for artists to create original classical Indian work. The premiere artists of 2015 are Arunima Kumar and Urja Desai Thakore.
At: Purcell Room in Southbank Centre, 7.30pm
|September 5, 2015 Monroe, NY|
The East-West School of Dance presents a KRISHNA LEELA DANCE DRAMA directed & choreographed by Pandit S.N. Charka. Colorful scenes from the life of Krishna: from his miraculous early years and mischievous childhood to the culmination in the Maha-raas, his cosmic dance with the Gopikas is presented in the dazzling Kathak style of North India.
At: Blue Sky Center at the Ananda Ashram, 13 Sapphire Road, Monroe, New York 10950, 8.30pm
Contact: 845.783.7514 / 845.782.5575 / email@example.com
|September 5 & 6, 2015 Singapore|
Maya Dance Theatre presents CITY LIGHTS, Past, Present and Future on Sept 5 from 4pm to 8pm and on Sept 6 from 1pm to 5pm
At: Orchard Central Auditorium, Singapore
|September 5 - 9, 2015 Bhubaneswar|
Srjan presents GURU KELUCHARAN MOHAPATRA AWARD FESTIVAL 2015
- Sept 5: Sharmila Biswas (Odissi)
OS Arun (Carnatic vocal)
- Sept 6: Mandakini Trivedi (Mohiniattam)
Satchidananda Das (Mardala)
- Sept 7: Vidhya Subramanian (Bharatanatyam)
Pt Kumar Bose (tabla)
- Sept 8: Samarpan, a major band dedicated to classical fusion
- Sept 9: Neo classical innovation in dance by Srjan repertory, choreography by Guru Ratikant Mohapatra
|September 5 - 21 & 29, 2015 Rajasthan, Bangalore |
Deepa Narayanan Sashindran & Rekha Satish present Kuchipudi duet performances & lec dem / workshop
Sept 5-21: Rajasthan –Spicmacay Series
Sept 29: Bangalore - Jagriti Theatre (Ticketed show)
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org /+919845315272
|September 6, 2015 Bangalore|
Launch of attendance 2015, in memory of Bhavanite B.C.Gurudutt (1959-2014), who was its volunteer and webmaster.
At: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Munshi Memorial Hall, 11am
|September 7 & 15, 2015 Berlin, Germany|
Payal Ramchandani presents Kuchipudi dance recital on Sept 7 and Sumangala Varun presents Bharatanatyam recital on Sept 15.
At: Auditorium, Indian Embassy Berlin, Tiergarten strasse 17, 10785 Berlin, 6pm
|September 7 - 27, 2015 California|
Schedule for Ramya Harishankar and Arpana Dance Company
- Sept 7: Arangetram of Dheitshaa Bala
- Sept 12: Arangetram of Ritu & Riya Sidgal
- Sept 13: Solo by Nandini Kannan
- Sept 19: Ganeshotsava, KCA, Buena Park, CA
Arangetram of Medha Nair
- Sept 20: Festival of Children, Costa Mesa, CA
Arangetram of Madhulika Shastry
- Sept 21: Lecdem, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- Sept 26: Arangetram of Shruthi Aiyar
- Sept 27: Arangetram of Shreya Patel
Info: email@example.com / www.arpanadancecompany.org
|September 10 - 13, 2015 Visakhapatnam|
Nataraj Music & Dance Academy presents VYSAKHI NRITHYOTSAV 2015
- 10th Sept:
Dr. Saroja Vaidyanathan, Bharatanatyam, New Delhi
Bathina Sisters, Kuchipudi,Vizag
- 11th Sept:
Deepak Roy, Odissi, Oman
Lokendrajit, Manipuri, Manipur
- 12th Sept:
Dr. Mallika Kandali, Sattriya, Assam
Sujata Mohapatra, Odissi, Bhubaneswar
- 13th Sept:
Sunanda Nair, Mohiniattam, Mumbai/USA
Sailaja, Kuchipudi, Chennai
At: Kalabharathi Auditorium, 6pm
Info: +91 9848137445 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|September 12, 2015 Lemont, IL|
Sriranga Dance Academy presents THE DANCING TALES, a Kuchipudi dance feature by Vyjayanthi Kashi, along with Prateeksha Kashi and Srivani Vokkarane.
At: Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago, 10915 Lemont Rd, Lemont, IL 60439, 6.30pm. All are welcome.
Info: email@example.com / 312 – 371 – 7977
|September 12 - Oct 12, Sept 20, 2015 Spain & Portugal, Kolkata|
Schedule for Rhythmosaic.
- Sept 12 – Oct 12: Rhythmosaic Repertory Director, Prasanna Saikia tours Spain and Portugal as a part of Contemporary Dance Residency, facilitated by Attakkalari, Bangalore.
- Sept 20: Audition for workshop by Akram Khan on October 3. For details contact Rhythmosaic - 9831069211
At: Rhythmosaic Studio, 5 Ramesh Mitra Road, Bhawanipore.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.rhythmosaic.com
|September 13, 2015 Pune|
Amritanjali School of Bharatanatyam presents a Bharatanatyam recital by Padmaja Savanur, disciple of Shashikala Ravi. Accompanying artistes: Nattuvangam - Shashikala Ravi, Vocal - Neethi Nair, Mridangam - K.N. Venkatesh and Flute - Sanjay Sasidharan
At: Amritanjali Dance Studio, 407-409, Lunkad Skymax, Viman Nagar, Pune 411014, 6pm
Info: email@example.com / www.amritanjali.com
|September 13, 2015 Santa Clara, CA|
Abhinaya Associate Artistic Director Rasika Kumar dances & Abhinaya company dancer Malavika Kumar performs nattuvangam in the collaborative performance curated and organized by Ganesh Vasudeva, Navarathna - Rare Gems of Tanjore Quartet
(featuring bay area dancers & live music)
At: Mission City Performing Arts, Santa Clara, 4pm
|September 13 & 19, 2015 San Rafael & San Jose, CA|
Sangam Arts presents DANCES OF DEVOTION, an evening of classical Indian and Cambodian dance by Lavanya Ananth and Charya Burt
Sept 13: Marin Showcase Theater, San Rafael, 4.30pm
Sept 19: Mexican Heritage Theater, San Jose, 4.30pm
|September 14 & 20, 2015 Bhubaneswar, Coimbatore|
Schedule for Ileana Citaristi and Art Vision.
- 14th Sept, Bhubaneswar: Art Vision organizes 11th SANGAM FESTIVAL, a Confluence of Dances. Odissi dance productions ‘Chitrangada’ and ‘Maya Darpanam’ will be presented by Art Vision repertory group with choreography by Ileana Citaristi followed by Kathak dance recital by Nadam group from Bangalore. At Rabindra Mandap, 7pm
- 20th Sept, Coimbatore: Art Vision presents Odissi dance items choreographed by Ileana Citaristi at Natyanjali Dance Festival at Perur, 6.50pm. Organized by Rotary Coimbatore Metropolis.
|September 14, 15 & 26, 2015 Shimla and Chandigarh|
Schedule for Ananda Shankar Jayant and Shankarananda Kalakshetra
Sept 14 & 15, Shimla: Invited speaker for seminar on The Many forms of Soft Power; India and the World organized by IIAS, Shimla and ICCR, at Indian Institute of Advanced Studies
Sept 26, Chandigarh: SNA presents NRITYOPAHARA and NAVARASA by the Shankarananda Kalakshetra ensemble, at SNA, 6.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.anandashankarjayant.com
|September 16 & 17, 2015 London|
Shobana Jeyasingh Dance presents her acclaimed STRANGE BLOOMS twinned with a new work MATERIAL MEN. The piece brings together star soloists Sooraj Subramaniam and Shailesh Bahoran, artists of the Indian diaspora whose backgrounds are in classical and hip-hop dance respectively. Contrasts in style and similarities of origin are the starting points for a dynamic exploration of rhythm, location and shared history. Jeyasingh's practice of collaboration with contemporary composers sees her teamed up with Australian composer Elena Kats-Chernin in a new commission funded by the RPS Drummond Fund. Strange Blooms is an ensemble work inspired by the cellular life of plants, presenting a complex interplay of energy and pattern.
At: Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre, London, 7.30pm
|September 18, 2015 Bangalore|
Continuing the theme of this year's Biennial, DANCE CONNECT 2015 is Attakkalari's on-going project with Mercat De Les Flors (Spain) and O Espaco Do Tempo (Portugal). Dance Connect 2015 brings together three young choreographers and six dancers from India in a three-stage, collaborative residency project that will begin in Bengaluru (India), move to Barcelona (Spain) and culminate in Montemor-o-Novo (Portugal). The month-long project encourages partnership with light designers, dramaturges, sound and digital artists to bring together a scintillating performance. The work will then be presented in all the three venues and will incorporate inputs from local artists and communities, thus increasing cultural mobility and community engagement.
Prasanna Saikia, Hemabharathy Palani and Surjit Singh Nongmeikapam, accompanied by six other dancers are the participating artistes in this project. Attakkalari will host a presentation of these performances at its studio on 18th September.
At:Attakkalari Centre for Movement Arts, 24-04, BTS Bus Depot Road, Wilson Garden, Bangalore 560027
Contact: (080) - 22123684, 41483534, 41467690
|September 18 & 19, 2015 Philadelphia, PA |
Courtyard Dancers presents a festival of Indian dance and music in Philadelphia titled FACING EAST. The festival celebrates the richness and diversity of Indian dance and music artists in Philadelphia.
Friday, Sept 18: Sattriya Dance Company, Madhusmita Bora - Sattriya, Three Aksha, Viji Rao - Bharatanatyam, Amanda Weidman- Carnatic Violin, Courtyard Dancers, Pallabi Chakravorty- Kathak
Saturday, Sept 19: Sakhshi Production, Nandini Sikand –Odissi, Aqeel Bhatti - Tabla, Usiloquy, Shaily Dadiala – Bharatanatyam, Courtyard Dancers, Pallabi Chakravorty- Kathak.
Venue: Painted Bride Art Center, 230 Vine Street, Philadelphia PA 19106, 8pm
e-mail: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: https://paintedbride.org/events/facingeast / www.courtyarddancers.org
|September 19, 2015 VA|
Radha Dutta presents a Mohiniattam classical dance performance.
At: GMHS, Virginia, 2pm. All are welcome.
Info: (301) - 581-0323
|September 19 & 20, 2015 Vancouver, Canada|
Mandala Arts presents:
- Sept 19, 8pm: Bharatanatyam by Kiruthika Rathanaswami
- Sept 20, 1.30pm: Double bill - Carnatic vocal concert by Lakshmi Menon followed by Bharatanatyam performance by Kiruthika Rathanaswami, choreographed by Jai Govinda.
Tickets: Students/seniors 12$, Adults 15$
At: Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre, Vancouver
Info: email@example.com / www.mandalarts.ca
|September 23, 25-27, 2015 Malaysia|
World premiere of GANJAM, Sutra’s newest Odissi production features its newest dance compositions commissioned from Guru Gajendra Panda and creatively assisted by Odiyan scholar and visual artist, Dr. Dinanath Pathy, who acts as the production’s visual consultant.
Ganjam is homage to this culturally potent region of Southern Odisha, home ground of some of Odisha 's eminent medieval composers, poets and literary figures. Sutra dancers will be accompanied by musicians from Odisha in this new and exciting hymn to odissi.
At: Pangung Sari Istana Budaya, 8.30pm
|September 25, 2015 Gurgaon|
SWARAAH is a 60 minute production based on Kathak choreography by Rachana Yadav Kathak Studio. Music composition is by Susmit Sen (Founder member of Indian Ocean band) & Ustad Samiullah Khan. Vocals have been rendered by Ustad Samiullah Khan & Parul Mishra, tabla by Kishore Gangani, Pakhawaj by Mahaveer Gangani, drums & percussions by Varun Gupta & sarangi by Ghulam Mohammad and keyboard by Dhruv Kumar. Light design & executions by Govind Singh Yadav. Dancers include: Shweta Mishra, Mukesh Gangani, Avinav Mukherjee, Anukriti Vishwakarma, Neeti Jain, Myra Khanna with Rachana Yadav
At: Epicentre, Gurgaon, 7:30pm
|September 25 - 27, 2015 New Delhi|
Natya Tarangini Performing Arts Centre of Raja and Radha Reddy hosts PARAMPARA SERIES 2015, National Festival of Music and Dance.
- Sept 25: Raja Radha Reddy & troupe present Kuchipudi dance drama MAHANATAM
Hindustani Vocal by Pt Sanjeev Abhayankar
- Sept 26: Preeti Patel & troupe present Manipuri program YAIPHABI…..The Blessed
Anuradha Pal’s tabla ensemble Stree Shakti
- Sept 27: Dance & Theatre production ANTARAM featuring SuhasiniManiratnam (Theatre),
Gopika Varma (Mohiniattam), Yamini Reddy (Kuchipudi), Kritika Subramaniam (Bharatanatyam)
Sudha raghuraman and G Raghuraman’s Carnatic ensemble Raga Sudha
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7 to 9 pm