25 - October 21, 2014 New Delhi
Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra presents its 58th edition of the enchanting RAMLILA, a mythology that has eternally captured the soul, in its much awaited unfolding of the messages of Rama’s enunciations on the wheel of karma; consequences of past deeds, layers of karma that comprise the journey of life and the larger cosmic purpose that seeks to be fulfilled, where devotion, loyalty, family relationships and respect to elders are paramount. The Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra’s Ramlila is produced and directed by Shobha Deepak Singh (Director -Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra).
At: Kendra Lawn, 1, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi, from 6.30pm to 9.15pm
Entry by tickets available at Kendra, 1, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi
Contact: (011) – 43503333 /23386428/ 29
|October 1 - 19, 2014 Mumbai|
Schedule for Jhelum Paranjape and Smitalay for October 2014.
- Oct. 1: Traditional Odissi performance during Durga Pooja at Malad, Mumbai, 7pm
- Oct. 5: BOLLYWOOD HUNGAMA at Rang Sharda, Bandra, 7pm
Smitalay completes 25 years on 17th October 2014. In celebration, a 5 day festival is spread over 4 venues. Entry is open for all.
- Oct. 11: Smitalay productions BAHINAAI & SAVITRI VADATEY at Veer Savarkar Hall, Dadar West, Mumbai, 5pm
- Oct. 12: Young Talent will be presented at Mini Auditorium, Ravindra Natya Mandir, Prabhadevi, Mumbai, 8pm
- Oct. 17: Smitalay dance ballet LEELAVATI at Nehru Centre, Worli, Mumbai, 6.30pm
- Oct. 18: Traditional Odissi items and KRISHNA at Pranganga, Bhavan’s Cultural Centre, Andheri West, Mumbai, 6.30pm
- Oct. 19: Felicitations to musicians and Smitalay production UMA at Veer Savarkar Hall, Dadar West, Mumbai, 10.30am
- Oct. 19: Students’ Day at Pranganga, Bhavan’s Cultural Centre, Andheri West, Mumbai, 6.30pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.smitalay.com
|October 1 - 28, 2014 Canada, USA
Dance historian, scholar, author and critic Dr. Sunil Kothari's monthly itinerary for October
- Montreal, Canada
*1st Oct: Residency at Mamata Niyogi Nakra’s Kala Bharati
*2nd and 3rd Oct: Mac Gill University, discussions with Prof Devesh Soneji and meeting students
*4th Oct: Kala Bharati meeting with ballet dancer and historian Vincent and visiting Dance Collection Bibliothec
*5th till 8th Oct: Kala Bharati, various projects, interaction, planning
- Toronto, Canada
*9th Oct: Sampradaya, screening of film ‘I, Dance’ directed by Sonya Fatah about dance in Pakistan. In conversation with Dr. Sunil Kothari
*10th Oct: Rehearsal of ‘Dance like a man’ - interview with author Mahesh Dattani from Bangalore
*11th & 12th Oct: Janak Khendry Dance Co: Interview and rehearsal of ‘Paradise Lost’
*13th Oct: Menaka Thakkar Dance Company - interviewing Menaka Thakkar and Rasesh Thakkar on Kalanidhi institution and its contribution to multi cultural society in Canada
*14th and 15th Oct: Interviewing Lata Pada for her recent projects on dance and theatre undertaken by Sampradaya
*16th Oct: Attending premiere of play ‘Dance like a man’ at 8pm
- Montreal, Canada
*17th Oct: Kala Bharati residency
- New York
*19th Oct: Brunch with dancer Rajika Puri, choreographer of Sutradhari Natyam. Meetings with Pallavi Shah and Vibhuti Patel
*20th Oct: Meeting Rachel Cooper at Asia Society
*21 Oct: Meetings with Prof Richard Schechner, Ralph Samuelson and painter Natvar Bhavsar
*22 Oct: Attending pre-performance talk at Bam Cafe at 6.30pm for the 5 hour long Dutch play ‘Angels of America’
*23rd Oct: Seeing Pina Bausch’s dance theater ‘Kontakthof’ at BAM on the occasion of Pina Bausch’s first appearance at Bam 30 years ago
*24th Oct: seeing ‘Angels in America’ at BAM
*26th Oct: departure for Delhi (arrival on 28th)
e mail: email@example.com
|October 1 - 31, 2014 Mysore, Puri, Roorkee & Indonesia|
Schedule for Ileana Citaristi and Art Vision.
- Oct 1, Mysore: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi dance in DUSSERA FESTIVAL at Mysore Palace, 7 pm, organized by Kannada Sanskruti, Mysore
- Oct 11, Puri: Art Vision directed by Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi group in KUMARA UTSAV Festival in Puri organized by Kumara Utsav Cultural Committee.
- Oct 11 to 19, Roorkee, Uttarakhand: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi concerts and workshops for Virasat series organized by Spic Macay Roorkee chapter at IIT, Roorkee
- Oct 30-31, Padang, Indonesia: Ileana Citaristi gives an Odissi performance and workshop in the Bagalanggang International Performing Arts Festival, Padang, Indonesia
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.artvisionindia.com
|October 3 - 31, 2014 Jaipur, Kochi, Delhi, Varanasi|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran
- 3 October: Geeta Chandran will perform at the J. Sagar Associates annual retreat of lawyers at Fairmont Hotel, Jaipur, Rajasthan
- 5 October: Geeta Chandran will present her dance-theatre work GANDHI: Warp and Weft at JPACT in Cochin, Kerala, 7pm
- 6 October: Vidyarambham Puja at Natya Vriksha Studio in New Delhi
- 10 to 30 October: IN THE CLICK OF A MOVEMENT exhibition of photographs by Rakesh Sahai to be shown at Desmania Studio, New Delhi
- 12-17 Oct: Geeta Chandran will travel in Uttar Pradesh for SPIC-MACAY performances in Varanasi area
- 31 October: Geeta Chandran’s Natya Vriksha Dance Company will perform AVAL: Gender Awakening at the UN Lawns, 55 Lodi Estate, Delhi
Info: email@example.com / www.geetachandran.in
|October 5 - 27, 2014 Aurangabad, Agra, Delhi, Beijing, Tokyo|
Schedule for Parwati Dutta
- 5 Oct, 10 am: UNNAYAN organised by MAHAGAMI disciples in honor of their Guru Parwati Dutta, features Odissi - Rupali Kadam (Mumbai) & Kathak - Nilangi Kalantre (Jabalpur)
At: MAHAGAMI, Aurangabad
- 7 Oct, 7.30 pm: Amalgam of classical dances Nirgeet & Sannidhi, concept and choreography by Parwati Dutta
At: ITC Moghul Lawns, Agra
- 8 Oct: Kathak performance & workshop for a group Japanese students - Outreach program of MAHAGAMI, at its premises, Aurangabad
- 10 & 11 Oct, 10.30am to 1.30pm: At India International Center, New Delhi
PRATIBIMB - Morning Seminar of Ananya Festival moderated by Parwati Dutta
- 12 to 16 Oct: Lecture by Parwati Dutta on the VISION OF INDIAN DANCE and paper presentation in ‘Professor’s Dialogue’, performance by Parwati Dutta and disciples in Beijing, China
- 23 to 27 Oct: Performance, Lecture, Workshop by Parwati Dutta for WORLD DANCE RESEARCH CONGRESS in Tokyo, Japan
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.mahagami.org
|October 16 - November 10, 2014 Europe|
Kuchipudi exponent Dr Saraswathi Rajathesh travels to Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria and Czech Republic for performances and workshops.
Contact: 9880162774 / email@example.com
|October 17 - 19, 2014 Delhi|
Dance Residency with Rama Vaidyanathan presented by Sarvam Foundation. Rama will be teaching her 30 minutes signature piece with provided studio recorded music for it. Yoga, discourses from the Gita, creative exercises using dance and music will be part of the retreat.
At: Zorba The Buddha.
|October 18 - 25, Switzerland|
Schedule for D Keshava & Kalasri
Oct 18: 4pm – 5.45pm Hinterkappelen, Bern, Switzerland
Sumitra Keshava is invited to give a special Bharatanatyam dance program on the theme “Migration” by the Protestant church, Wohlen. Sumitra will perform a story of a refugee.
At: Gemeinschaftszentrum Kipferhaus, Dorfstrasse 9, Hinterkappelen, Bern
- Oct 19: 10am – 4pm Basel, Switzerland
On the occasion of 20th Jubilee celebrations of the Yoga centre Lotus, Basel, D. Keshava is invited to conduct a Hatha Yoga Workshop and perform Bharatanatyam
At: Gemeindesaal, Bachletten, Basel
- Oct 25: 5pm – 10pm Stadt Casino Basel, Switzerland
Diwali, Festival of Lights, celebrated by the Indian art & culture Kalasri, Basel, Switzerland
Pooja, Bharatanatyam, Folk dances and Bollywood dances by Keshavas and students of their dance school Kalasri
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.kalasri.com
|October 19 & 22, 2014 UK
Schedule for Kalasagara UK
- 19th Oct: Students perform for ‘InSpotlight’ at Cockpit Theater, in Central London.
- 22nd Oct: Students perform for South Weald Ladies Fellowship, Havering, UK
Info: 07899 844869 / email@example.com / www.usharaghavan.com
|October 20 - November 30, 2014 USA & Canada|
Ananda Shankar Jayant and the Shankarananda Kalakshetra ensemble embark on a dance performance tour of USA and Canada with NRITYOPAHARA, a collage of Shankarananda Kalakshetra's signature choreographies & NAVARASA - EXPRESSIONS OF LIFE, a work that uses abstraction as a way to explore human experience and emotion
For performances and workshops, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
|October 21 - 23, 2014 Reunion Islands|
FESTIVAL OF INDIAN ARTS features P Unnikrishnan, Bombay Jayashree, Ronu Majumdar, Shankar Tucker, the Dhananjayans, Bharatakalanjali troupe, Verushka Pather, Karthigesan Pillay, local artistes.
|October 24, 2014 Singapore|
RAMAKATHA - The Story of Rama is a Bharatanatyam production by Sathyanarayana Raju, with live music accompaniment. The proceeds of Rama Katha will be directed to SOCARE IND, a unique NGO in Bangalore, India that focuses on rehabilitating the children of lifetime convicts. The funds raised will be used to build a SOCARE Orphanage home in Gulbarga, India.
At: newly renovated PGP Hall, Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, 397, Serangoon Road, Singapore 218123, 7.30pm
|October 24 & 25, 2014 Paris|
Meenakshi Srinivasan presents a Bharatanatyam dance, accompanied by K. Hariprasad (vocals), Jayashree Ramanathan (nattuvangam), V. Vedakrishnaram (mridangam) and Kodampalli Gopakumar (violin).
At: Musée Guimet - 6, place d'Iena, 75116 Paris, 8.30pm
|October 25, 2014 Sydney, Australia
Samarpana presents SWANUBHAVAM by Bharatanatyam Guru CV Chandrasekhar accompanied by Australia based musicians.
At: Redgum Centre, 2 Lane St, Wentworthville, 6.30pm
|October 25, 2014 Liverpool, UK|
SAMYOGA will showcase a brand new piece of work ‘AADI – The beginning’, alongside excerpts from popular previous works like Basant Bells and Kinkini, created by Swati Dance Company and the members of Swati Youth Group to music composed by Praveen D Rao and new choreography by Swati Raut and guest choreographer Shane Shambhu, Artistic Director of Altered Skin, London. The evening will start with music of Classical Fusion – Vocal and Instrumental, by Bangalore Quartet – Chakrafonics led by Praveen D Rao. The Bangalore Quartet is a band from India of experienced artists with a vision of crossing the borders of traditions with bridges of world music.
At: The Capstone Theatre, Liverpool Hope University, 7.30pm
|October 26, 2014 Delhi
BRAHMAKALPA - THE ETERNAL UNIVERSE, a unique Bharatanatyam production choreographed and produced by Rama Vaidyanathan and Ajith Dass. Building on texts from the Vedas, Manusmriti, Sangam poetry, modern scientific theories and using the vast vocabulary of Bharatanatyam, Brahmakalpa - the Eternal Universe endeavours to tell the story of the universe based on ancient Sanskrit works as well as scientific truths. Conceived, choreographed and performed by dance exponents Rama Vaidyanathan and Ajith Bhaskaran Dass, this performance also features four dancers and musicians from India and Malaysia. Featured performers: Dakshina Vaidyanathan, Uma Govind, Vijayan Veeryen and Parthiben Sethu. The live orchestra will also have S Vasudevan on Vocal, Arun Kumar on Tavil, Sumod Sridhar on Mridangam, Viju Sivanand on Violin and Rajat Prasanna on flute.
- 26 October, Kamani Auditorium, Delhi, 6.15pm
Info: email@example.com / www.ramavaidyanathan.com
|October 26, 2014 New Delhi|
AKKA MAHADEVI, a solo thematic Bharatanatyam production by Manjula Amaresh (disciple of the Dhananjayans & Kalanidhi Narayanan)
At: Indian Habitat Centre, Stein Auditorium, Lodhi Road, New Delhi at 7pm.
For further details: firstname.lastname@example.org
|October 26, 2014 Mumbai|
Padmaja Suresh presents thematic performance at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Andheri Campus Center, at 7pm.
|October 26, 2014 Ottawa, Canada|
JAYA SUBRAMANIAM'S COMMEMORATIVE SERVICE to commemorate Jaya Subramaniam's life and accomplishments. There will be a number of speakers, then an opportunity for you to contribute your memories about Jaya followed by refreshments.
At: The Chamber, Ben Franklin Place (Centrepointe Theatre Complex), 101 Centrepointe Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K2G 5K7, 3pm to 5pm
|October 27 & 29, 2014 UK|
JUGNI is an explosion of dance, music and meaning with live vocals and percussion inspired by Qawaali, and contemporary choreography driven by the passion in folkloric dance styles. Sonia Sabri Company illuminates personal stories through intricate play of movement, rhythm and rhyme contributed by women from all over the UK. Choreographer Sonia Sabri and musical director Sarvar Sabri build a heartfelt collaboration of mainly a female cast of renowned artists.
- Oct 27: Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough
- Oct 29: Ivy Arts Centre, Guildford, University of Surrey
|October 28, 2014 Mumbai|
NCPA presents RAGE AND BEYOND: IRAWATI’S GANDHARI by Sanjucta Wagh
in Kathak style. In this solo dance theatre presentation by Sanjucta Wagh, she has tried to negotiate with the tremendous ebb and flow that inevitably happens when one tries to embody an archetype, a mythological character that is so deeply entrenched in the Indian cultural consciousness.
At: Experimental Theatre, 7pm
Info: (022) – 22824567 / 66223724
|October 28, 2014 Mumbai
Dr. Padmaja Suresh gives a performance based on book- Tantra the Science and Natya the Art at 6.30pm, Sandeepani, Chinmaya Mission Headquarters, Powai, Mumbai
|October 29 & 31, 2014 Bangalore|
Naatyakalakshetra presents NRITHYA UTSAVA 2014 BANGALORE FESTIVAL
- Oct 29: BN by Bhuvana Prasad, BN by Prashant Gopal Shastry, Kuchipudi by Veena Murthy Vijay, Bn by Shraddha Dance Ensemble, BN by Divya Ravi
- Oct 31: NRITHYA SHIVA by disciples of Naatyakalakshetra & Prashant Gopal Shastry
At: Sevasadan, 14th Cross, Malleswaram, 6.15pm
|October 30, 2014 Bournemouth, UK|
Atma Dance / Mayuri Boonham’s two brand new works, EX NIHILO / THE HUMAN EDGE, draw on the epic creation myths of sacred Indian texts to explore the ancient questions of creation and human life through dance. Ex Nihilo is an expression of the poetic thinking and abstract imagery questioning the time before the Big Bang whilst The Human Edge draws inspiration from the aspect of the universe that is perceivably within our grasp - the human angle. Based on the story of Sati the choreography evokes the drama of Sati’s life and death as a metaphor of a star. Featuring sound installation from Bill Fontana and music composed by Boonham's long-term collaborators, Midival Punditz.
At: Pavilion Dance South West, Bournemouth, 7.30pm
|October 30, Nov 1 & 2, 2014 Chennai|
Natyanjali Trust presents 8TH NARTAKA FESTIVAL. This year, the Nartaka Award will be presented to Guru V.P. Dhananjayan. Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman is the chief guest. The festival will be dedicated to Guru Pandanallur C. Subbaraya Pillai, the pillar of the Pandanallur bani, on the occasion of his 100th birth anniversary.
- 30th October
5pm to 6pm - Christopher Guruswamy & Hari Krishna
6pm to 7pm - Ajit Bhaskaran Dass & students
7pm to 8pm - Sai Santhosh
5pm to 6pm - Praveen Kumar, Bangalore
6pm to 7pm - Justin McCarthy, Delhi
7pm to 8pm - Shankar Kandasamy, Kuala Lumpur
- 2nd November
10.30am: Lec-dem by Shankar Kandasamy
5pm to 6pm - Narthaka Narthanam (Students of Dhananjayan)
6pm to 6.30pm - Award Function
6.45pm to 8.15pm - Prof. C.V. Chandrashekar
At: Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan, Mylapore, Chennai
|October 31, 2014 Delhi|
3-MINUTE IDEAS is an initiative by the independent dance practitioners in Delhi, who felt a need for a supportive environment for making new work. This is an open space for emerging choreographers, from any training background, to share a choreographic idea through movement or words with others in the dance community and receive feedback from them. This is an opportunity for dancers to ask their peers specific questions and use them as springboards for constructive feedback to help develop and shape their work further.
You are most welcome to be a part of this open space to either
a. Share an idea b. Just be present as a creative stimulant
In case you want to share, we can allocate you a time slot of approximately 15 minutes, which includes 3 minutes of active sharing from your side and 12 minutes of idea development through feedback and questions.
To register, either to share an idea or to provide feedback, please write to Swati Mohan at email@example.com with your full contact details.
Venue: S-17, Khirkee Extension, Opposite Select City Walk, New Delhi 110017, 4:15pm - 6:15pm. Entry free.
Info: +91 9971406113 / www.gatidance.com