|March 1 - 31, 2015 Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Bhubaneswar|
Dance historian, scholar, author, critic Dr. Sunil Kothar's itinerary for March 2015
March 1: Illustrated talk on Remembering Rukmini Devi, at Kalakshetra auditorium, 6pm
March 2 – 6: Working at Rukmini Devi Museum and related work for Rukmini Devi's photo exhibition, Kalakshetra Museum.
- NEW DELHI: March 8 till 19
March 11-13: International Dance Festival of new choreographic works at Habitat Centre, Impresario presentation
March 19: Shekhar Sen's solo one act musical play Suradas, Habitat under aegis of Impresario
- HYDERABAD: March 20 to 27, University of Hyderabad, a Course for MA students on legendary gurus and dancers, Dept of Dance
- BHUBANESWAR: March 28 till 31, reworking on Marg Odissi book revised edition
|March 17 & 31, 2015 Bangalore|
Natya Institute of Kathak & Choreography, presents the works of its final year students on the 17th and 31st of March. Issues ranging from female foeticide, forced conversions, online identity thefts to marital rape, the contemporary ballet format ( in content or form) continues the legacy created by Dr. Maya Rao where dance is utilized as a platform for social change and awareness of contemporary issues. The eminent panel of judges include theatre person & filmmaker Kirtana Kumar and journalist turned murder mystery writer/ entrepreneur M.D Riti.
At: Metro Rangoli - Rangashala, 5.30pm onwards
Info: email@example.com / www.stemdancekampni.in
|March 29, 2015 Mississauga, ON|
Sampradaya Dance Creations presents its next installment of HORIZON SERIES, Emerging Artist Performance Series. The two local emerging artists - classical vocalist Ravi Datar and flutist and vocalist Hasheel Lodhia. Talk-back session to following performances.
Venue: Sampradaya Theatre, Mississauga, ON, 4pm
Tickets: $15, adults, $10 students/seniors.
To purchase tickets call: 905-607-8434.
|March 29, 2015 Union City, CA |
SIFA presents MAHANATAM Kuchipudi dance drama by Raja and Radha Reddy and troupe with Sruthi Ravali - vocal, VVS Murari - violin, Baanna Bhaskar Rao - mridangam and R. Thyagarajan - flute
At: James Logan High School Center for Performing Arts, 1800 H St, Union City, CA at 4pm
|March 29 - April 2, 2015 Chennai|
Tamil Nadu Eyal Isai Nataka Manram presents NATYA NATAKA KONDATTAM at its premises.
At: 31, Ponni, PS Kumaraswamy Raja Salai, RAV Puram, Chennai 600028
|March 30, 2015 Bhubaneswar|
Lasyakala presents AEKALAVYA season 7 as tribute for guru shishya parampara. This year along with Odissi there will be Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi dance too. On this occasion, Arupa Gayatree Panda (Odissi) and Nupur Dhananjay Daithankar (Bharatanatyam) will be honoured with AEKALAVYA SAMMAN 2015.
Dancers are: Dr. Swati Daithankar (Bharatanatyam), Dr. Ardhanareeswar Venkat (Kuchipudi),
Tapaswini Panda (Odissi), Prakruti Mishra (Odissi), Sridutta Bhol (Odissi)
At: Rabindra Mandap, 6.30pm
|March 30, 2015 Chennai|
The Governing Body of Narada Gana Sabha & The Board of Trustees, Narada Gana Sabha Trust, Chennai request your presence at a gathering in memory of R. Krishnaswami, Secretary, Narada Gana Sabha & Trustee, Narada Gana Sabha Trust.
At 6.30pm, tributes by R. Krishnamoorthy, Dr. Padma Subrahmanyam, P. S. Narayanaswamy, S Ve Shekhar, V. Ramnarayan, Harikesanallur Venkatraman, Prema Pandurang, Sujatha Vijayaraghavan, Dr. Nalli Kuppuswami Chetti.
Musical Tribute by T.M. Krishna at 7:30pm
At: Sathguru Gnanananda Hall, 314, TTK Road, Alwarpet, Chennai 600018
Ph: 24993201 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|March 31 - April 2, 2015 Assam |
Sangeet Natak Akademi presents a 3 day KUTIYATTAM FESTIVAL in Assam at 2 venues - at Guwahati and Barpeta, about 85 kms away from Guwahati. This is the very first Kutiyattam festival in North East of India. Detailed synopsis in both Assamese and English will be available at the venue. Guru Ammannur Kuttan Chakyar, Usha Nangiar, Margi Raman Chakyar and Sajeev Narayana Chakyar (actors), Kalamandalam VKK Hariharan (mizhavu) are among the artists.
- March 31: SURPANAKHANKAM by Margi, 6.30pm to 8pm
April 1: JATAYUVADHANKAM by Ammanur Chachu Chakyar Smaraka Gurukulam, 6.30pm to 8pm
April 2: DRAUPADI by Krishnan Nambiar Mizhavu Kalari, 6.30pm to 8pm
At: Srimanta Sankar Kristi Bikash Samiti, Paltan Bazar Namgarh, Guwahati
- March 31: JATAYUVADHANKAM by Ammanur Chachu Chakyar Smaraka Gurukulam, 6pm to 7.30pm
April 1: DRAUPADI by Krishnan Nambiar Mizhavu Kalari, 6pm to 7.30pm
April 2: SURPANAKHANKAM by Margi, 6pm to 7.30pm
At: Madhavdev Shastra Adhyanagar, Barpeta Sattra, Barpeta
Info: (0361) – 2229464
|April 1, 2015 Thiruvananthapuram|
Sangeet Natak Akademi, New Delhi, Kutiyattam Kendra (Centre for Kutiyattam), & Dept. of Museums & Zoo, Govt. of Kerala present their 71st Paitruka kalasawadana program to disseminate Kutiyattam and allied arts featuring Kutiyattam THORANAYUDHAM - 2ND DAY by Painkulam Ramachakyar Smaraka Kalapeedam, Thrissur. Program begins with the usual brief appreciation class
At: Museum Auditorium, Govt Museum, Thiruvananthapuram, 6pm. All are welcome.
Info: (0471) – 2474987 / email@example.com
|April 1 - 12, 2015 Cleveland, Ohio|
CLEVELAND THYAGARAJA FESTIVAL now in its 38th year will be held in Ohio. It will include over 200 celebrity artistes in over 85 concerts including Carnatic Symphony, a fusion of Western music orchestra with Carnatic music presented by about 100 talented children of various nationalities and conducted by K.N. Shashikiran. Music and Bharatanatyam dance competitions will form part of this festival which will bestow various music and dance awards, like Sangeetha Rathnakara, Nrithya Rathnakara, Sangeetha Kala Sagaram, Nrithya Kala Sagaram, etc.; and organize educational programs, including ‘The Glory of Lord Venkateswara.’
|April 2, 2015 Gurgaon|
Swaranjali presents ABHIGYANA SHAKUNTALAM, an evening of classical instrumental music and dance drama along with the privileged and underprivileged children of society, in a Kathak based dance drama choreographed by Lily Bhattacherjee.
At: Epicenter, Apparel House, Sec-44, Gurgaon at 7.30pm. All are welcome.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / 9910300319
|April 3, 2015 Chennai|
Jagyaseni Chatterjee presents a Bharatanatyam recital. Jagyaseni is of Bengali origin who has specialized in Bharatanatyam, Mohiniattam and Kuchipudi. She is the only Bengali woman to play the mridangam. Presently, she is a student at the Madras University studying MA Bharatanatyam with advanced learning under Sreelatha Vinod and Lakshmi Ramaswamy. She is also a journalist.
At: Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium, 6.30pm
|April 3, 2015 Paris, France|
KATHAKALI - LES ANTAGONISMES FÉMININS features artists of Kerala Kalamandalam with Nellyode Vasu Namboodiri and KKM Balasubramanian (actors), Nedumpilly Rajeev, Kalanilayam Ram Mohan (singers); Ravishankar, Hariharan (chenda, maddalam and percussion) and Kalanilayam Padmanabhan (makeup, props). Two episodes borrowed from the Bhagavata Purana with heroines in opposition: the terrifying Nakratundi, sister of the demon Narakasura, and nurse Puthana who poisons. This performance is associated with the great night of April 5 to 6 to be held in the Cartoucherie, with the collaboration of artists invited by the Prana Company, for the fiftieth anniversary of the Théâtre du Soleil.
At: National Museum of Asian Arts - Guimet 6, 75116 Jena Place Paris, 8.30pm
Information, reservations: 01 40 73 88 18 or email@example.com
|April 3 - 5, 10 - 12, 2015 Malaysia|
Masakini Theatre Company presents NAGA WOMEN 2015: Rajika Puri dances the story of ELENI OF SPARTA, Anita Ratnam is A MILLION SITAS, Sabera Sheik plays the beautiful but dark princess in PUTERI SAADONG.
Program in both venues:
Day 1: A Million Sitas and Puteri Saadong
Day 2: Eleni of Sparta and A Million Sitas
Day 3: Puteri Saadong and Eleni of Sparta
- At Penang Performing Arts Centre
April 3 & 4 at 8.30pm / April 5 at 3pm
Tickets: RM 65 / RM 35* (www.ticketpro.com.my) / Info: 04 – 8991722
Special package for all 3 shows: RM158 / 85*
- At Damansara Performing Arts Centre, H-01, Empire Damansara, Jalan PJU 8/8, Damansara Perdana, 47820 Petaling Jaya, 47820 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
April 10 & 11 at 8.30pm / April 12 at 3pm
Tickets: RM 100 / RM 65** (www.dpac.com.my) / Info: 04-40650001
Special package for all 3 shows: RM250 / 158*
*Students & senior citizens
For enquiries: 03-26190119 / firstname.lastname@example.org
|April 5, 2015 Bangalore|
Flute n Feet Academy presents NAADAABHINAYAM, a music and dance presentation.
Created by husband-wife team of Vivek Krishna and Aranya Narain, Flute n Feet blends the classical dance form of Bharatanatyam with the melodious strains of the flute. Each rendition is choreographed to popular kritis of Carnatic music and a few exclusive compositions..
Main artistes: Vivek Krishna - Carnatic Flute, Aranya Narain – Bharatanatyam
Guest artistes: Radhika Ramanujan, Sneha Devanandan, Aparna Shastry
Musicians: D.V. Prasanna Kumar – nattuvangam, Harsha Samaga – mridangam, B.S. Prashanth – mridangam, Dayakar - violin
At: ADA Ranga Mandira, JC Road, Bangalore, 6pm
|April 5, 2015 Bangalore|
Drishti Art Foundation and Satya Foundation present KALAPOORNIMA, a unique Moonlit Art Utsav, a celebration. Hindustani and fusion music concert by Praveen D Rao and Faiz Khan and ensemble; Mohiniattam by Gopika Varma; Veerabhadra Kunita and Nandi Dwaja Kunita (popular folk form of Karnataka) by Janmabhoomi Janapada Kalasangha, Mandya.
At Kalapoornima, you can experience the vibrancy of folk art; the beauty, melody and rhythm of dance and music by renowned artists; the fine arts of painting, sculpture, creative art. You can
interact with artists directly, have your queries answered, to understand art better. You can round it all off by savouring the diverse flavours of Indian cuisine
At: Satyashri, The Cottage in Sampigehalli, Jakkur Post, Bangalore North - in a rustic setup with nature as its backdrop. The roof is the moonlit sky.
From 5.30pm. Rs.500 inclusive of dinner (Call: 98455 55422 / 97314 01881)
Info: email@example.com / www.drishtimag.com
|April 6 - 30, 2015 Kerala, Odisha, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata|
Programs for Ileana Citaristi and Art Vision for April 2015
- 6th April, Puthur, Kerala: Ileana Citaristi performs Odissi solo for PUTHUR DANCE AND MUSIC FESTIVAL at Devi Bhagavati temple
- 8th April, Bhubaneswar: Art Vision organizes REMEMBERING GURUJI on the occasion of 11th death anniversary of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. The program will be inaugurated by eminent Odia writer Manoj Das who will release Ileana Citaristi’s autobiography ‘My Journey; a Tale of Two Births.’ This will be followed by the staging of Odissi dance choreography MAANA BHANJANA performed by senior students of Guruji and artists of Art Vision. The ballet is based on original script by Babaji Vaishnava Charan Das. At Rabindra Mandap, 7pm
- 10th April, Mumbai: Ileana Citaristi along with her disciple Upasana Mohanty, performs abhinaya compositions for ANUSARAN, a festival organized in memory of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. At Sangeet Mahabharati, 6,30pm
- 17th April, Jajpur, Odisha: Ileana Citaristi gives solo Odissi recital for the opening of Samarpanam, two days dance festival organized by Biswa Nrutyam Dance Institution at Sanskuti Bhawan Auditorium.
- 20th April, Kolkata: Italian Consulate in collaboration with ICCR, Kolkata chapter, presents an evening with Ileana Citaristi . Her solo recital will be preceded by the presentation of her autobiography with Ileana in conversation with Oindrilla Dutt. Chief Guest of the evening is eminent film director Gautham Ghose. At ICCR Auditorium, 7pm.
- 27, 28th April, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi presents Odissi lec-dem for Spic Macay series of concerts organized to celebrate World Dance Day at Sarbar Patel Vidyalay10am on 27th and D.A.V. Public School, Noida at 10am on 28th.
- 29th April, New Delhi: On the occasion of World Dance Day, Kri Foundation directed by Arshia Sethi, hosts an evening to present Ileana Citaristi’s autobiography. Chief speaker of the evening Dr. Kapila Vatsayan will introduce the book and Leela Venkataraman will be in conversation with the author. This will be followed by Ileana’s solo Odissi dance recital. At IIC Auditorium, 7 pm.
- 30th April, New Delhi: Ileana Citaristi will chair an illustrated talk FROM MENAKA TO MALLIKA: THE JOURNEY OF DANCE IN INDIAN FILMS by Ratnottama Sengupta, film critic & curator, organized by, Kri Foundation. Chief Guest - Sharmila Tagore. At India Habitat Centre, 7pm
|April 7, 12-17 & 26, 2015 Trivandrum, Calicut & Bangalore |
Deepa Sashindran with Kuchipudi Parampara Foundation ensemble
- April 7, Trivandrum: Noopuradhwani Nrithyolsavam 2015- Thirthapada mandapam 6.30pm
- April 12-17, Calicut: Divinity in Kuchipudi workshop Series, Swathi Thirunal Kalakendram, 9am-7pm
- April 26, Bangalore: World Dance Day- Inaugural presentation at Alliance Francaise, an Ashish Mohan Khokar initiative,10.40am
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org /+919845315272
|April 7 - 19, 2015 Mumbai|
Schedule of Smitalay & Jhelum Paranjape for April 2015.
- 7th April, 5.30pm: SHRADANJALI to Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra on his death anniversary by Smitalay at Smitalay, Sane Guruji Arogya Mandir, Santacruz West, Mumbai
- 10th April, 6.30pm: Jhelum, Debi & Daksha present ANUSARAN in memory of Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. Performances by Ratikant & Rajashri, Ileana & Upasana, Jhelum & Rupali, Daksha & Namrata, Debi & Anu at Sangeet Mahabharati, Juhu, Mumbai
- 17th April, 7.30pm: FRIDAY SERIES by Hemangi Pisat at Sane Guruji Arogya Mandir, Santacruz West, Mumbai
- 18th April, 7.30pm; Students of Smitalay’s Babulnath branch celebrate ANNUAL DAY at Aditya Birla Centre for Performing Arts, Babulnath, Mumbai
- 19th April, 11am: Participation of Debi, Daksha & Jhelum in the SINDHU FESTIVAL organized by Vaibhav Arekar’s Sankhya Dance Creations at Gadkari Rangayatan Sabhagriha, Thane.
Info: email@example.com / www.smitalay.com
|April 8 - 30, Delhi, Ahmedabad, Orchha, Chidambaram|
Schedule for Geeta Chandran and Natya Vriksha
- 8 April: As part of NGO Yogdan’s Sur Sringar event, following Pandit Madhup Mudgal’s Hindustani classical vocal concert, Geeta Chandran will perform solo Bharatanatyam at the Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi (admission free)
- 13 – 16 April: Geeta Chandran will present illustrated lecture-demonstrations on Bharatanatyam for SPIC-MACAY, Ahmedabad Chapter
- 19 April: Geeta Chandran’s Natya Vriksha Dance Company performs for Prerana NGO at the Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, New Delhi. (admission free)
- 22 April: Geeta Chandran will perform in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh
- 24 April: Foundation for Universal Responsibility will host the Delhi premiere of VARA – A Blessing, an international film by award-winning Bhutanese Director, Rinpoche Kyentse Norbu. In VARA, Geeta Chandran plays the role of devadasi Vinatha. Her disciples at Natya Vriksha also have starred in this film. Venue: Stein Auditorium, India Habitat Centre, Lodi Road, New Delhi 110003, 6.30pm. Entry free
- 25 & 26 April: Natya Vriksha’s WORLD DANCE DAY CELEBRATIONS 2015
Venue: India International Centre Auditorium, 40 Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003
- 30 April: Geeta Chandran and daughter/disciple Sharanya Chandran will perform at Chidambaram for the Mahakumbhabhishekham
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / http://geetachandran.in
|April 9, 2015 Kolkata|
Srjan presents MARGA in tribute to Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra on his 11th death anniversary, featuring choreography by Ratikant Mohapatra.
At: Padatik Little Theatre II, 6/7 A.J.C. Bose Road, Kolkata 700 017, at 7pm
|April 9 - 12, 2015 London, UK|
Dance UK’s Industry-Wide Conference THE FUTURE: NEW IDEAS, NEW INSPIRATIONS will take place across various venues in London. This event is designed to bring together the widest possible range of people from right across the sector and offer them the opportunity to help shape a healthy future for dance in the UK. It’s an opportunity to network, celebrate the achievements of the UK’s dance sector, have fun, enjoy key performances and stretch yourself professionally. The conference will also focus on identifying solutions to the challenges facing dance today. It is supported by voices from dance and the arts such as: Ashley Banjo, Sir Peter Bazalgette, Akram Khan, Jonzi D, Shobana Jeyasingh, Dame Gillian Lynne, Arlene Phillips, Wayne McGregor, Tamara Rojo and many more. For a full list of speakers and contributors please visit www.danceuk.org/conference
|April 10 - 12, 2015 Chicago, IL|
Ragamala Dance Company presents SONG OF THE JASMINE.
Aparna Ramaswamy, Ranee Ramaswamy, and Rudresh Mahanthappa, creators
April 10, 7:30pm / April 11, 7:30pm / April 12, 2pm
Venue: Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago (USA)
|April 10 - 13, 2015 Bhilai, Chattisgarh |
Nrithyati Kalakshetram in association with Bhilai Steel Plant presents the 4th edition of NRITHANRITHYATHI – a festival of Indian classical dances.
1. Amrit Sinha- Bharatanatyam - Lucknow
2. Anjali Munjal - Kathak - New Delhi
3. Shilpa Mohanty - Odissi - Bhubaneswar
4. Samyuktha Swaminathan - Bharatanatyam - Chennai
5. Roopa Kiran - Bharatanatyam - Hong Kong
6. T. Laxmi Reddy - Kuchipudi - New Delhi
7. Lata Tippe - Kathak - Mumbai
8. Tanya Saxena - Bharatanatyam - New Delhi
9. Raja Dutta - Bharatanatyam - Kolkata
1. Pavitra Bhatt - Bharatanatyam - Mumbai
2. Sruthy Jayan - Bharatanatyam - Kerala
3. Palak Tiwari - Kathak - Raipur
4. Sonali Mishra - Odissi - New York
5. Chitra Dalvi - Bharatanatyam - Mumbai
6. Jyothsna A - Bharatanatyam - Chennai
7. Ragesh Parameshwaran - Kerala Natanam - Calicut
1. Krithika Sabbanakodi - Bharatanatyam - Karnataka
2. Divya Warier - Mohiniattam - Mumbai
3. Sahana Sridhar - Bharatanatyam - Chennai
4. Aparupa Patnaik - Odissi - Bhubaneshwar
5. Shweta Venkatesh - Bharatanatyam - Bangalore
6. Nikita Banawalikar - Kathak - Mumbai
7. Rekha Satish - Kuchipudi - Bangalore
8. Srini Nelluri - Kuchipudi - Hyderabad
1. Tatini Das - Bharatanatyam - Guwahati
2. Shanti Mohanty Dave - Bharatanatyam - Raipur
3. Rashmi Rajendran - Mohiniattam - Mumbai
4. Jigna Dixit - Kathak - Ahmedabad
5. Alex Raphael - Bharatanatyam - Kerala
6. Maddali Soundarya Kaushik - Kuchipudi - Hyderabad
7. Nrithyathi Kalakshetram - classical group - Bhilai/Raipur
8. Dimpy Rani - Sattriya - Assam
9. Shreyasi Gopinath - Bharatanatyam - New Delhi
At: Kalamandir auditorium, Civic Centre, Bhilai, Chattisgarh, 5pm
|April 11, 2015 Bangalore|
Natyasaraswathi Bangalore presents KUCHIPUDI VAIBHAVA, organised by ICCR, Bangalore.
Venue: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 6.30pm. All are welcome.
|April 11, 2015 Chicago, IL|
Natya Dance Theatre presents EXPLORATION OF TRADITIONS.
At: Washington Park, 5531 S Martin Luther King Drive, 6 – 7pm. All are welcome.
Info: www.ChicagoParkDistrict.com / www.natya.com
|April 12, 2015 Palo Alto, CA|
Abhinaya Company of San Jose presents a special 35th anniversary event BHARATANATYAM – TEMPLE LEGACY with lecture, demonstration and performance by acclaimed artists Guru Indra Rajan (nattuvangam expert) and Nandini Ramani (noted dancer, scholar, and critic) from Chennai.
At: Cubberly Theater, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA 94043, 5pm
Tickets: Advance $12 Student/Senior; $16 General; $30 Donor
At the door $15 Student/Senior; $20 General; $30 Donor. Free for Friends of Abhinaya
|April 14 - June 5, 2015 UK|
Divya Kasturi and Watford Palace Theatre presents ‘FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD?’
What happens when a stranger takes over your online identity? Do you find yourselves having to create innumerable number of usernames and passwords for almost every window that you end up opening online? Inspired by real –life experiences, this stunning theatrical-dance work explores issues of trust and identity integrating hologram technology, contemporary South Asian dance and mesmerising live vocals. Divya Kasturi has worked with Sir Paul McCartney and Nitin Sawhney. Her work uses digital technology that augments her unique movement style.
- April 14: Watford Palace Theatre, 01733 207239
- May 9: Key Theatre, Peterborough, 01733 207239
- May 12: The Place, London, 020 7121 1100 (includes a complimentary installation and a post show Q & A with the artistic team)
- June 5: Harlow Playhouse, 01279 431945
|April 15 - May 12, 2015 USA|
Kuchipudi exponent Dr. Saraswathi Rajathesh tours USA for workshops and performances
USA contact: Bhagyashree Manohar 323-215-7576 / 323-272-3348 / email@example.com
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.natyasaraswathi.com
|April 17, 2015 New Delhi|
Nikolina Nikoleski Dance Company and Kartikeya present BRAND LIFE. Staged in 13 sequences, the event will showcase a journey, where one meets the self in different stages: as a young child, as the mature self and as the senior who is now only reflecting on memories, with the realization that there are only fewer chances to begin again. Without being critical or cynical, Brand Life will examine our society and its inclination to label everything through brands, exclusivity and selection. Nikolina and her performing troupe in age span of 4-75 years are eyeing to engage people from all walks of life, for whom the dancers will be an inspiration in recognizing the powerful impulses of nostalgia, memory and recollection.
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7.30pm
Choreography & direction: Nikolina Nikoleski
For tickets & info: email@example.com
|April 18, 2015 Manassas, Virginia|
Radha Dutta will perform folk dance and Bharatanatyam
At: Manassas, Virginia NOVA campus amphitheatre, 2.30pm
Free admission. For info: 301 - 581- 0323
|April 19, 2015 Bangalore|
PRAVAHA 2015 Odissi Dance Festival a tribute to Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra) features performances - solo by Aruna Mohanty , duet by Argha Chatterjee (disciple of Sujata Mohpatra) and Arpita Venkatesh (disciple of Aloka Kanungo) and group by the Sanjali Dance Ensemble presented by Sanjali Centre for Odissi Dance, Bangalore.
At: Seva Sadan, 14th Cross, Malleshwaram, Bangalore at 6pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.sanjalicentre.com
|April 19, 2015 Philadelphia, PA|
Usiloquy Dance Designs welcomes Spring with its first company performance of the year as part of the Philadelphia Central Library’s SUNDAYS ON STAGE program at 2pm featuring excerpts from its latest production Ragas and Airs.
|April 20, 2015 Ahmedabad|
SURUCHI …ALL ABOUT DANCE! A special event will mark the release of a compilation of papers presented, and lectures delivered by esteemed scholars, academicians and practitioners of Indian classical dance during the six-day National Classical Dance Festival organized by Rasadhwani at Ahmedabad in association with State Sangeet Natak Akademi from November 1 to 6, 2014. Organised with support from the Gujarat Vishvakosh, the event will comprise of introduction by Dr. Uma Anantani, Director, Rasadhwani and release of the booklet in august presence of Kumudini Lakhia, Dr. Kumarpal Desai and Dr. S.D. Desai. This will be followed by Bharatanatyam performance by Shivangee Vikram, Payal Ghodadra and Koral Adenwala.
At: Hiralal Bhagavati Sabhagruha, Vishvakosh Bhavan, Vishvakosh Marg , Usmanpura, Ahmedabad, 5.30pm
|April 23 - 26, 2015 Mumbai|
NCPA has curated five editions of the MUDRA DANCE FESTIVAL with outstanding artistes from all over India. It is one of NCPA’s main dance festivals held in April around International Dance Day every year.
- April 23: PITA - MAHATMYA by Lata Surendra & Sujatha Nair (Bharatanatyam & Mohiniattam)
KAUSUMBHAH- KANTI by Abhimanyu Lal & Vidha Lal (Kathak) at Experimental Theatre, 7pm
- April 24: SHYAM CHHABI by Pt. Birju Maharaj and Saswati Sen (Kathak) at Tata Theatre, 7pm
- April 25: KATHAK WORKSHOP by Pt Birju Maharaj, 12pm to 4pm at West Room
MAYURA KAUTVAM Lecture- Demonstration (Kuchipudi) by Vyjayanthi Kashi and Prateeksha Kashi at Tata foyer, 5pm to 6pm
SONGS OF LOVE AND LONGING by Surupa Sen and Bijayini Satpathy (Odissi) at Tata Theatre, 7pm
- April 26: CHITRA LOHITA by Vyjayanthi Kashi and Prateeksha Kashi (Kuchipudi) at Experimental Theatre, 7pm
Info: (022) - 22824567 / 66223724
|April 24, 2015 Washington, DC|
Kalanidhi Dance presents LEELA: PLAY OF THE DIVINE choreographed and performed solo by Chitra Kalyandurg in Kuchipudi style.
At: Sprenger Theatre, Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H Street NE, Washington, DC 20002, 8pm.
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
Every year on the International Dance Day, designated by UNESCO as April 29th, in honour of the French Ballet Master Jean George Nouverre, the Alliance Francaise de Bangalore, with Ashish Mohan Khokar, mounts a ‘danceathon’ (a marathon of dance!) where 108 dancers perform non-stop from 10am to 10pm. This year Sunday 26 April is chosen for the same. Many DHS members are shortlisted and auditioned for presentation. On the same day critics, scholars and dance historians meet and talk about dance matters with dancers, gurus, teachers and the press, sponsors, govt officials and patrons. This year, Dr. Githa Rajagopal’s book on Nagaswaram will be released and rare films on dance shown. Doordarshan telecasts the day's event live. A national seminar, rare films, and many solo and group presentations are part of the day, as also, books on dance at half price and dvds on dance for display and sale.
At: Alliance Francaise de Bangalore, 10am to 10pm
Become member of Attendance History Society
|April 26, 2015 Bangalore|
The 2015 issue of Attendance is to be out on World Dance Day. It is a yearbook that contains news, views, reviews and more! Historical data, useful information, book reviews, even obits. Many senior and serious dance writers contribute to make this yearbook - now in its 17th year - meaningful and memorable.
Endorsed as role-model journal on dance from India by UNESCO-CID, it has made serious inroads in research and outreach. It contains rare, archival pictures dovetailed with contemporary concerns and contexts. Articles bring alive history and heritage of Indian dance and also its global outreach and impact today.
|April 26, 2015 NYC|
The Metropolitan Museum of Art & Sunday at the MET present VEILED MOON, a dance-theater created by Preeti Vasudevan and her company Thresh on the life and works of Mah Laqa Bai Chanda, one of the most scintillating Muslim courtesans of 18th century southern India. Veiled Moon will be preceded by a talk about the history and culture of Hyderabad by the celebrated writer-storyteller William Dalrymple.
At: The Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, 3 – 4.30pm, free for the public.
|April 26, 2015 Chicago, IL |
Samskriti Foundation, Naperville IL presents RASAANUBHAVAM (Aesthetic experience) - an interactive exploration of 'Raga, Rasa, and Rhythm,' featuring eminent artists Chitravina N Ravikiran (Carnatic musician, Chennai), Sudha Chandrasekhar (Bharatanatyam dancer & Director of Hindu Temple Rhythms, Michigan), Maragatham Sundaresan (Sanskrit scholar, Chicago),Vinodh Gopinath (Mridangam artist, Chicago). Exciting finale with all artists coming together in an impromptu, real-time artistic collaboration.
Concept and Coordination: Shoba Natarajan
At: Madden Theater - North Central College, 171 Chicago Avenue, Naperville, IL 60540, 2pm to 5.30pm
For more info, contact Samskriti Foundation: (630) 527-1898; email@example.com
|April 29, 2015 New Delhi|
World Dance Day is celebrated all over the globe on 29th April. To commemorate this occasion,
Sadhya is organizing a grand show titled NO BOUNDARIES bringing together around 100+ artistes in a unique manner. The spectrum that would be created would be a seamless visual treat of dance styles taking the audience to an enthralling journey. This was initiated by Santosh Nair four years back and has been celebrated ever since. The companies that shall be an integral part of celebration this year will be:
1. Sadhya, 2. Guru Saroja Vaidyanathan & group, 3. Guru Ranjana Gauhar & group, 4. Kalashram, 5. The Danceworx, 6. Big Dance Centre, 7. Urshilla Dance Company, 8. Sindhu Mishra & group, 9. Banjara School of Dance
Artistic director: Santosh Nair, Sadhya
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7.45pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.sadhya.com
|April 29 - May 10, 2015 Bangalore, Tumkur|
Shrishti presents SHRISHTI VISHWA NRITHYA UTSAV 2015.
|April 30, 2015 Bangalore|
NADAM presents an evening of abhinaya by Bharatanatyam dancer / guru Bragha Bessell from Chennai.
At: Seva Sadan, Malleswaram, Bangalore, 6:30pm
Info: 98802 01608 / email@example.com
|April 30, 2015 Birmingham|
Kathak dancer and choreographer Nahid Siddiqui presents MAATI (Earth), a new work in development, based on the writings of 17th century Eastern philosopher and poet Hazrat Bulleh Shah, whose poetry highlights his spiritual voyage through Sufism. Siddiqui uses the subtle nuances of Kathak to encapsulate the essence of the ‘Sufi’ folk spirit of the Punjab. The work seeks to unveil the phenomenon of the earth and how all life relates to it, while also posing questions about the fundamental truths of existence.
At: mac Birmingham, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham B12 9QH, 7pm