|December 1 - 5, 2013 Konark
Odisha Tourism presents KONARK DANCE FESTIVAL
- Dec 1: Purnashree Raut & group (Odissi)
Anitha Guha & group (Bharatanatyam)
- Dec 2: Sadanam Balakrishnan & group (Kathakali)
Rudrakshya Foundation (Odissi)
- Dec 3: Aloka Kanungo & group (Odissi)
Singhajit Singh & group (Manipuri)
- Dec 4: Alekya Punjala (Kuchipudi)
Ileana Citaristi & group (Odissi)
- Dec 5: Rani Karnaa & group (Kathak)
GKCM Odissi Resewarch Centre (Odissi)
At: Open air auditorium, Konark, Odisha, 6pm
|December 1, 6 & 14, 2013 Mumbai
Kalalaya Foundation, Mumbai presents Bharatanatyam concerts by Naresh Pillai & his senior disciples. Dashavataaram,Siva Leela and Krishna Charitam dance drama & Bharatanatyam items will be presented.
- Dec 1 at 7.30pm: Kherani Road, Shri Ayyappa temple, Sakinaka
- Dec 6 at 7pm: at M.C. Road, Shivai Gymkhana, Andheri East
- Dec 14 at 4pm: at Home for the aged, Andheri East
Info: Raji Sriram on 8080707023 / Kamala Parthasarathy on 9870060522
|December 1 - 29, 2013 Lucknow, Delhi,
Chennai, Kalady, Assam
Geeta Chandran’s schedule for December 2013.
- 1 Dec: Geeta Chandran will visit Lucknow to inaugurate Shilpmanjari, an exhibition of high quality handicrafts by the Princess of Ayodhya.
- 5 Dec: For a GOI international conference, Geeta Chandran’s Natya Vriksha Dance Company will present SANKRITI with Madhavi Mudgal’s Odissi troupe and Monisa Nayak’s Kathak dancers at the ITC Hotel Dwarka.
- 7 Dec: As part of Mandala Celebrations, Geeta Chandran will present a solo Bharatanatyam performance BHAKTI-MANJARI at the Ayyappa Temple in RK Puram, Sector 22, New Delhi. Geeta will present traditional items from her vast classical repertoire that showcase the temple origins of the dance form.
- 7 Dec: Sharanya Chandran, daughter and disciple of Geeta Chandran will perform in Bangalore, at Gokulam (near Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ashram, Kanakpura Road)
- 9 Dec: Geeta Chandran will participate in a seminar on ‘Impact of Technology on Art and Culture: Managing Libraries and Archives’ jointly organized by IGNCA and UN Information Centre in New Delhi.
- 16 Dec: Geeta Chandran will present a performance dialogue on DANCE and VALUES at the 2nd International Life Skills, School Health, Values, Gender & Wellbeing Summit 2013 organized by the central Board of Secondary education (CBSE), 16th to 18th Dec at National Bal Bhavan, New Delhi.
- 17 Dec: As part of SPIC-MACAY’s VIRAASAT series, Geeta Chandran will present an illustrated performance at the Maulana Azad medical College, New Delhi, 3pm.
- 23 Dec: DOOTI VILASAM, Geeta Chandran will present a solo Bharatanatyam performance on the theme of ‘Sakhi’ for Kartik Fine Arts (Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mylapore) at 7.30pm.
- 27 Dec: Geeta Chandran performs solo Bharatanatyam at Kaladi as part of the Music and Dance Fest, Kerala
- 29 Dec: Geeta Chandran and her Natya Vriksha Dance Company perform in Guwahati for the Department of Culture, Government of Assam.
Info: email@example.com / www.geetachandran.in
1 - 31, 2013 Chennai, Mangalore
Dance historian, scholar, author, critic Dr. Sunil Kothari's itinerary for December.
- 1st Dec: Receiving Kala Seva Ratna award at Bharat Kalachar at 6pm
- 2nd Dec onwards staying in Chennai for the 'season'
- 16th Dec: TM Krishna's book on music release by Nobel Laureate Dr Amartya Sen, function at Kalakshetra, 6pm
- 17th Dec onwards attending PURUSH Festival at Alliance Francaise and Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
- 21st Dec: Being honoured along with gurus and dancers during PURUSH festival at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 10am
- 22nd Dec: Attending Virasat Festival at Mangalore
- 23rd Dec onwards
- 26th Dec: Being honoured by Natya Kala Conference at Krishna Gana Sabha in the morning at 9.30am for contribution to dance
- 29th Dec: Chandralekha Memorial Event at Space, 1 Eliot Beach Road, Besant Nagar, 6pm onwards
- 30th, 31st Dec: Attending Natya Kala Conference at Krishna Gana Sabha
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / 9810748029
|December 2 & 18, 2013 Berlin, Germany
The Cultural Department of the Embassy of India in Berlin presents:
- Dec 2, 6pm
Kuchipudi by Shebana Devi
- Dec 18, 6pm
Bollywood & Galleries, Surprise Film, with Christmas cake and tea in the Indian film break, sponsored by Rapid Eye Movies
Venue: Auditorium, Indian Embassy in Berlin, Tiergartenstr. 17, 10785 Berlin
The entry is only possible with a valid identity card
|December 3-4, 2013 London
World Premiere of Shobana Jeyasingh Dance STRANGE BLOOMS & Configurations. To celebrate a quarter century of dazzling dance making the company presents a brand new work paired with Configurations which launched the company 25 years ago.
For Strange Blooms Jeyasingh works with Gabriel Prokofiev, a classically-trained composer who revels in the latest technology. Together they re-imagine and re-mix early Baroque music with all its exuberance, ornamentation and contrast. The performance features lighting by Guy Hoare, costumes by Fabrice Serafino and set design by Bronia Housman.
Strange Blooms appears in a double bill with Configurations, Jeyasingh's seminal 1988 piece celebrated for its exhilarating speed and stunning detail. Mathematical rhythmic patterns from classical Indian dance are deployed to create a remarkably fresh and contemporary work. Michael Nyman's original music, which became known as his acclaimed String Quartet No.2, is played live on stage for these performances.
At: Southbank Centre’s Queen Elizabeth Hall, 7.30pm
|December 4, 2013 Thiruvananthapuram
Sangeet Natak Akademi, New Delhi, Kutiyattam Kendra (Centre for Kutiyattam), Thiruvananthapuram & Department of Museums & Zoo, Government of Kerala, present their 36th program to disseminate Kutiyattam and allied arts. Kutiyattam BHAGAVADAJJUKAM - UDYANAVARNANA (preceded by a brief appreciation class) by Kalamandalam Girija & Kalamandalam Shylaja
At: Museum Auditorium, Govt Museum, 6.30pm. All are welcome.
|December 4 - 30, 2013 Konark, Jaipur, Bihar
Schedule for Ileana Citaristi and Art Vision
- 4th December, Konark: Art Vision directed by Ileana Citaristi, performs KAALA-TIMEBOUND for the Konark Dance festival organized by Dept. of Tourism, Government of Odisha, Konark
- 8th December, Jaipur: Art Vision performs for PRAVAH FESTIVAL organized by Cultural Society of Rajasthan at Ravindra Manch, Jaipur
- 30th December, Rajgir: Art Vision performs for RAJGIR DANCE FESTIVAL organized by Tourism Dept. of Bihar at Rajgir, Bihar.
|December 5 & 27, 2013 Konark &
Schedule for Rani Karnaa and Samskritiki Shreyaskar
- Dec5: PIROYE MOTI directed by Guru Rani Karnaa Nayak, Konarak festival, Orissa.
Performed by senior disciples of Guru Rani Karnaa Nayak - Debashree Bhattacharya, Sohini Debnath, Rhea Das, Samila Bhattacharya, Surangama Bhattacharya
- Dec 27: RADHA KRISHNA NIRATA KARATA directed by Guru Rani Karnaa Nayak,
at Gyan Manch, Kolkata
Performed by senior disciples of Rani Karnaa Nayak - Debashree Bhattacharya, Sohini Debnath,
Rhea Das, Samila Bhattacharya, Surangama Majumder
Info: email@example.com / www.raniikaathak.net
|December 6, 2013 Hyderabad
Natya Tarangini Hyderabad Institute of Classical Dance and Music is celebrating its anniversary. Students of Natya Tarangini ranging from the age of 5 to 40 years present an array of Kuchipudi dance choreographies by the Reddys.
At: Ravindra Bharathi (Main Theatre) Saifabad, Hyderabad, 7pm
|December 6 - 8, 2013 Kochi
KALYANA KRISHNA DANCE & MUSIC FESTIVAL – 2013 is the 8th year annual tribute to the Indian classical dance legends Kalamandalam Krishnan Nair & Kalamandalam Kalyanikutty Amma.
6th Dec 2013
6pm: Inauguration and Award presentation by Prof. M. K. Sanu
2013 Kalyana Krishna Endowment Award to Late Kumaran (Aniyara)
2013 Changarapally Aniyan Memorial Award to Kalamandalam Ramachandran
6.30pm to 7.30pm: Mohiniattam by Smitha Rajan
7.30pm to 8.30pm Chakyarkoothu by Margi Saji Narayanan
7th Dec 2013
5.30pm to 7pm: Upcoming artists, Bharatanatyam by Alex Rapheal & Kuchipudi by Chandralekha Ratheesh
7.15pm to 8.45pm: Odissi presentation by disciples of Sri Bichitrananda Swain, Rudrakshya Foundation, Kolkata
8h Dec 2013
5.30 to 7pm: Carnatic Music by M.K. Sankaran Namboothiri & group
7.15pm to 9.15 pm Kathakali story SUBHADRAHARANAM led by Kottakkal Chandrashekara Warrirr & Fact Padmanabhan.
On all 3 days Kalyana Krishna Publication, Mudrakhyam “A Visual Dictionary on Mohiniattam Hand Gestures” will be on sale with discounted price.
Venue: Changampuzha Samskarika Kendra stage, Changampuzha Park, Edappally, Kochi – 24
|December 6, 11 & 23, 2013 Bangalore,
Schedule for Swapna Rajendrakumar
- 6th Dec: Sai National Dance Festival @ 5.30pm, Seva Sadan, Malleswaram (Bangalore)
- 11th Dec: Uday Shankar Dance Festival @ 6pm, Ravindra Sadan (Kolkata)
- 23rd Dec: Mohininrityathi @ 6.30pm, Nayana Auditorium, Kanada Bhavan (Bangalore)
|December 7, 2013 Bangalore
Sharanya Chandran, daughter and disciple of Geeta Chandran, will perform in Bangalore, at Gokulam (near Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ashram, Kanakpura Road), 7pm
|December 7, 2013 Ahmedabad
A dance drama recital in Bharatanatyam format KRISHNABHAKT KAVI JAYADEV – GEETAGOVINDAM based on Dhanvanta Shah’s dramatic adaptation of the novel ‘Prembhakta Kavi Jayadev' by Jayabhikkhu.
Sutradhara: Dr. Mahesh Champaklal
Dancers: Vaibhav Arekar and Shivangee Vikram
Music: Jayan Nair, Conceptualization: Dr. Uma Anantani
Venue: Lalit Kala Kendra, Gujarat Vishvakosh, Vishvakosh Marg. Usmanpura. Ahmedabad, 5pm
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.rasadhwani.com
|December 7, 2013 Wembley, UK
Pagrav Dance Company presents NRITYA PARVA, a Kathak student showcase of repertoire pieces featuring group items, duets and solos choreographed by its Artistic Director Urja Desai Thakore.
At: Patidar House, 22 London Road, Wembley HA9 7EX, 7.30pm
|December 7, 2013 Birmingham, UK
CALLIGRAPHY IN MOTION, a contemporary dance performance by the Sonia Sabri Company, this performance is a part of the "Qalam" exhibition. Calligraphy, or the art of beautiful writing, is held in great esteem by Muslims in the UK and worldwide. The exhibition brings this vibrant and distinctive art form to the heart of Birmingham, showcasing historic manuscripts, decorated objects and contemporary art.
At: Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery - Round Room, 3pm. Free event.
|December 7, 2013 Philadelphia, PA
Three Aksha presents AARAMBHA at Kimmel Center, Philadelphia, PA, 4pm
For more info: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
|December 7, 2013 Manchester, MO
Soorya Performing Series - 1 - Bharatanatyam by Chinmayi T. Matt
At: Just Dancing Studio Performance, 236 Old Meramec Station Rd, Manchester, MO 63021, 6:30pm
Info: email@example.com / www.sooryadance.com
7 & 20, 2013 Ahmedabad & Chennai
Vaibhav Arekar presents:
- Dec 7: Geeta Govindam (Directed and designed by Dr. Uma Anantani)
Venue: Gujarat Vishwakosh, Ahmedabad, 5.30pm
- Dec 20: NARMADE HAR HAR (a silver jubilee performance)
Venue: Narada Gana Sabha (main Auditorium), 2pm
|December 8, 2013 Bangalore
Natyasaraswathi dance academy, Bangalore, presents 18th annual dance celebrations, Distinguished guests, gurus and artists will grace the occasion. All are welcome.
At: Raghothama hall upstairs post office, Sanjayanagar, 10am onwards.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.natyasaraswathi.com
8, 2013 Wembley, UK
Kalasagara UK presents SOUNDARYAM, a peek into the intrinsic beauty in Bharatanatyam
A lecture and demonstration by Usha Raghavan and her students
Second in the series, in an effort to demystify the art form, this lecture and demonstration will explore the scientific as well as the spiritual aspects – the intrinsic beauty – in Bharatanatyam
At Patidar House, 22 London Road, Wembley HA9 7EX, 5.30pm to 7.30pm
For tickets and details, call: 07899 844869, 07963 013753, 07902 228686
Info: email@example.com / www.usharaghavan.com
|December 9 - 21, 2013 Mumbai, Aurangabad,
Schedule for Smitalay
- Dec 9: Traditional Odissi, BARC, Mumbai, 6.30pm
- Dec 14 & 15: Traditional Odissi, Mahagami Gurukul, Aurangabad, 7.30pm
- Dec 21: Jhelum Paranjape participates in the SHANKAR DEV UTSAV, Guwahati, 6.30pm
Info: Jhelum@smitalay.com / www.smitalay.com
|December 9 - 29, 2013 Assam, Nagaland,
Mysore, Mumbai, Kerala
Performances of Ayswaria Wariar in December 2013
- Dec 9: MOHINI NRITYATI Mohiniattam Festival by Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy. Hosted by Greater Guwahati Kerala Samajam in Collaboration with Dir. Cultural Affairs, Assam.
Venue: Ravindrabhavan, Guwahati, 5pm
- Dec 12: MOHINI NRITYATI, Mohiniattam Festival by Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy. Hosted by Dimapur Kerala Samajam
Venue: Christ Hall, Holycross School Compound, Dimapur town, Nagaland, 5pm.
- Dec 14: MOHINI NRITYATI, Mohiniattam Festival by Kerala Sangeeta Nataka Academy. Hosted by Anjali Bharata Natyam Research Trust
Venue: Mysore Association Auditorium, Matunga East (near madras cafe), Mumbai, 7pm
- Dec 17: Mohiniattam recital for Kaithali Mahadeva Kshetram
Venue: Kaithali Mahadeva Kshetram, Pattambi, Kerala, 7pm
- Dec 29: THE SIXTH NATIONAL SREE SANKARA DANCE & MUSIC FESTIVAL Organised by Sree Sankara School of Dance, Kalady.
Venue: N.A.S Auditorium, Kalady, Kerala, 7pm
For details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile : +919227102213
|December 12, 2013 Fairbault, MN
Aparna Ramaswamy presents SACRED EARTH at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, Fairbault, MN
|December 13, 2013 Delhi
ICCR presents an Odissi recital by Vani Madhav for its Horizon series.
At: Azad Bhavan Auditorium, 7pm. Seating on first come first served basis.
|December 13, 2013 Mumbai
Kathak and Odissi exponent Yogini Gandhi presents KRISHNAYAN, a thematic concert on Krishna through choreographies in Kathak under the aegis of the Prerana Foundation, Mumbai. Illuminating the multi faceted hues of Krishna the concert will be performed to the accompaniment of live music along with the senior disciples of her institute Kalanidhi.
At: the Nehru Centre, 7:30 pm
|December 13 & 28, 2013 Chennai,
- The KAISIKA NATAKAM in Tirukurungudi will take place on December 13th night at the Azhagiya Nambi temple.
- Anita Ratnam presents NEELAM on December 28 at Krishna Gana Sabha at 7.30pm
|December 13 - 29, 2013 Tanjore, Kolkata,
Schedule for Parvathi Ravi Ghantasala and Kala Pradarshini
- 13 Dec: ICCR South Zone Centre, Tanjore, 6pm
Parvathi Ravi Ghantasala and the disciples of Kala Pradarshini will be presenting a Margam
- 13 Dec: Uday Shankar Dance Festival, Kolkata, 6:30pm
L. Murugashankari will perform a solo Margam
- 20 Dec: Alva's Vishwa Nudisiri Virsat, Moodabidri, Karnataka, 4pm
L. Murugashankari presents a Margam solo
- 29 Dec: TANISHA FESTIVAL, Kuchipudi, 6:30pm
L. Murugashankari presents a solo Maargam presentation.
|December 14, 2013 New Delhi
Nrityabharti presents group choreography & VISION OF INDIA with dance concept and choreography by Chandan Thakore for CAPSI - Central Association of Private Security Industry, Association of Private Detectives & Investigators - India
Venue: PHD House, August Kranti Marg, New Delhi, 10am to 12pm.
|December 14 & 15, 2013 Delhi
Swaranjali presents GHARANA FESTIVAL 2013
Tabla solo recital by Pt. Shiv Shankar Roy
Classical vocal by Rama Sundar
Sitar recital by Mita Nag
Sonali Natta on vocal classical
Tabla solo by Harsh Vardhan Singh
Violin recital by Pt. Santosh Nahar
Venue: Amaltas, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110003, 7pm
All are welcome.
|December 14 & 19, 2013 Vishakapatnam
Ananda Shankar Jayant presents:
- Dec 14: SRI - THE GODDESS WITHIN at 7 pm with the Shankarananda Kalakshetra ensemble at Vishakapatnam
- Dec 19: ekaharya - THYAGARAJA RAMAYANAM
At: Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai, 7.30pm
|December 16 & 18, 2013 Chennai, Mumbai
Jayashree Sundaresan, disciple of Usha Raghavan, UK
- 16th Dec: Bharatanatyam recital organised by Ganamukundhapriya at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mylapore, Chennai, 10am
- 18th Dec: Swatantryaveer Savarkar Auditorium, Shivaji Park, Dadar, Mumbai 3.30pm
|December 18, 2013 Karur, Tamilnadu
Santanu Chakraborty performs solo Bharatanatyam with the theme SHIVA PANCHAKSHARA at Karur Natyanjali, 9 - 9.30pm
|December 21 & 22, 2013 Hyderabad
A team of Bangalore based artists led by choreographer Veena Basvarajaiah's present MOOKI, a dance theatre production in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. The piece inspired by Rabindranath Tagore's short story about a dumb girl, 'Subha' examines the meaning of freedom of expression that we, as citizens in a democracy, are said to possess. The movement vocabulary explores sign language looks at how language creates hierarchy within the framework of society with freedom of expression often being reserved to those with power. It looks at how the voice of those communities that are often misinterpreted, translated or seldom heard are often categorized as being marginalized. The piece draws from the experiences of the performers themselves and primarily focuses on how we have all endured discrimination based on gender and sexuality in silence.
Mooki is a collaborative offering of a group of individuals from varying backgrounds: dancers, musicians, engineers, ecologists, wildlife activists, weave their very own experiences and expertise into the fabric of the story, so that it is, at once, both personal and universal.
The piece is directed by Veena Basavarajaiah and devised & performed by Purnima Kumar, Akhshay Gandhi, Abhisheka Krishnagopal, A.N. Vinay Kumar, Ravishankar Bt & Shreekanth Rao. Live Music: Drums – Arun Sivag, vocals – Purnima Kumar
At 'Our Sacred Space' (Secunderabad) on 21st December
At Lamakaan (Hyderabad) on 22nd December
Tickets are available at the venue and also through www.bookmyshow.com.
For more details visit www.veenadance.com
|December 21 & 29, 2013 Bangalore
Schedule for Chitra Arvind
- 21st Dec, 6:30pm at ADA Ranga Mandira, solo Bharatanatyam by Chitra Arvind as part of Radha Sridhar’s dance festival RASA SANJE
- 29th Dec, 10:30am: at Ramanuja Samskriti Bhavana, Kathak duet by Chitra Arvind and Alar Arvind
Info: email@example.com / www.rhythmotion.org
|December 22, 2013 New Delhi
Artistic Director Santosh Nair and Sadhya present ADHVAN, a journey celebrating Sadhya’s fifteen years. This evening shall indeed be special, for not only will it be a celebration of Sadhya’s journey in its own unique way but also an opportunity for it to express its gratitude & felicitate some very important people who have inspired, guided or contributed to its growth & development. It will showcase a journey, beginning from the pioneer of Modern Dance in India, Uday Shankar, to Santosh Nair, its Artistic Director, to the vision that Sadhya holds for its future. Another highlight of the evening will be the performances that would bring in unique flavours, both of Mayurbhanj Chhau & Contemporary Dance style. Experimental & innovative work from Sadhya’s present company & its alumni would be its integral part.
At: Kamani Auditorium, 7pm
|December 22, 2013 Karur, Tamilnadu
Sudip Ghosh and his student name Sanjana Dey present classical Manipuri dance for the ARUTHRA DHARISANA INTERNATIONAL NATYANJALI FESTIVAL
Venue: Karur Kalyana Pasupatheeswara Temple
|December 24, 2013 Bhutan
Padmaja Suresh presents a lecture demo based on her book- Tantra the Science and Natya the Art, a two faceted reality
At: Nehru Wangchuk Cultural Center, Thimpu, Bhutan, 5.45pm
|December 25, 2013 Chennai
Bharatakalanjali presents a special Christmas program of AIKYA BHARATHAM, celebrating unity in diversity, classical and folk dancers by 30 artistes.
At: Narada Gana Sabha, 7pm - 9pm
|December 27, 2013 Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
Sharmila Mukerjee presents an Odissi recital at Indian Cultural Centre, presented by Indian High Commission, Malaysia, at 7.30pm. All are welcome.
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.sharmilamukerjee.com
|December 29, 2013 Kuchipudi, Andhra Pradesh
Sudip Kumar Ghosh presents classical solo Manipuri dance program at Akhila Bharata Kuchipudi Natya Kala Mandali, Muvva Mandalli, Kuchipudi village.