|September 1 - October 4, 2015 Malaysia|
Kuala Lumpur International Arts Festival 2015 (KLIAF) will present new works from Aswara, Dua Space Dance Theatre, Temple of Fine Arts, Alamak Wakaka, Sutra Foundation, MyDance Alliance and UPSI which in turn will collaborate with their own pool choreographers and artist talents. GuoGuang Opera (Taiwan) from Taiwan and Aseema Trust (Chennai) lead the way to show us how Chinese Opera and Indian folk dance can be relevant and simultaneously be part of current contemporary traditions. We are also presenting individual artists in special signature programs to link the diverse genres of dance-theatre. Hema Nandhini (Bharatanatyam), Kimball Gallagher (international pianists), Chaing YiLing (soprano), Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath will give the accent and flavour for a truly comprehensive festival. Except for one solo Bharatanatyam by Hema Nandhini and Ganjam (Odissi) by Sutra, most of the works have a distinctive contemporary thrust. As curator of the dance component of KLIAF, Sutra Foundation has commissioned major dance players in Malaysia – institutions and their artistic directors, individual choreographers, composers, lighting and set designers – to synergise in an integrated effort to give KLIAF a truly original and stimulating artistic fiesta.
Ramli Ibrahim has commissioned 12 ground-breaking new dance theatre productions which showcase new trends in choreography in contemporary modern and traditional dance genres. The world premieres of such varied productions and the exploration of extensive talents in dance, music and costume design provide this Festival with significant content in exploration of the thematic thrust of the Festival, which is to ‘Re-discover our Heritage’ in the nation’s performing arts.The ambitious line-up in this genre will include 12 brand-new festival -commissioned full-length dance productions.
- Sept 2 – 5: My Dance Alliance presents world premiere of TEPAK TARI (contemporary dance), produced & curated by Bilqis Hijjas, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 6: PATH OF DISCOVERY (music, dance, theatre). Pianists Kim Gallagher, Kai-Yin Huang, soprano YiLing Chaing, actors and dancers, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 8 – 11: World premiere of SIRIYAMMA SIRI (contemporary traditional folk) directed by VR Devika, Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 12: Aseem Trust presents world premiere of ULVILI conceived and performed by Sangeeta Isvaran and Suresh Kaliyath, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 13: Bharatanatyam by Hema Nandini, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 7.30pm
- Sept 16 & 17: Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris presents world premiere of GEMA SILAPIN (Malaysian traditional dance) choreographed by Abdul Hamid Chan, auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 18 – 20: Temple of Fine Arts presents NEO MARGAM by Shankar Kandasamy, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
- Sept 19 & 20: World premiere of PAK PANDIR YO! (Malaysian modern dance) Choreographed by Alam Wakaka, Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, 3pm / 8pm
- Sept 23, 25 – 27: World premiere of GANJAM in Odissi by Sutra Dance Theatre, artistic direction by Ramli Ibrahim, dance composition by Guru Gajendra Panda. Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, 8.30pm
- Sept 25 – 27: Malaysia premiere of YOUNG CURTAIN by Guo Guong Opera Company (Taiwan) -Chinese contemporary opera theatre. Auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm (Sept 25 & 27), 3pm & 8.30pm (Sept 26)
- Oct 1 - 4: World premiere of THE TREE by Dua Space Dance Theatre, direction & choreography by Anthony Meh and Aman Yap, Panggung Sari at Istana Budaya, Oct 1 & 2: 8.30pm, Oct 3 & 4: 3pm & 8.30pm
- Oct 2 – 4: World premiere of ADUH, SEROJA by Aswara, choreographed by Safini Jaafar, directed by Dr. Joseph Gonzales, at auditorium DBKL at Menara, 8.30pm
|September 3-11, 2015 Argentina|
Janaki Rangarajan conducts workshops and presents solo Bharatanatyam performances.
|September 19 & 20, 2015 Vancouver, BC|
Mandala Arts presents:
- Sept 19: Bharatanatyam by Kiruthika Rathnaswami, disciple of Jai Govinda, 8pm
- Sept 20: Double bill, with classical music by Lakshmi Menon, followed by Bharatanatyam by Kiruthika Rathnaswami, 1.30pm
At: Roundhouse community arts and recreation centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver, BC
Info: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.mandalarts.ca
|October 2 - 4, 2015 Birmingham, UK
NAVADISHA 2015 - New Dynamics in South Asian Dance @ mac, Birmingham, UK
A major British based international dance conference in partnership with Sampad - South Asian Arts, SADAA South Asian Dance Alliance and New Dimensions Arts Management, featuring young and established artists & commentators from around the UK, Europe, USA, Canada and Asia.
For more info: http://www.sampad.org.uk/special-projects/navadisha-international-dance-conference-2015/
|October 2 - 4, 2015 Washington DC|
UTSAV celebrates India’s maestros of music and dance.
- Oct 2, 7pm: Sarod recital by Amjad Ali Khan
- Oct 3, 2pm: Dance theatre ‘Don Quixote’ by Sheejith Krishna and troupe
7pm: Carnatic vocal by Sudha Raghunathan
- Oct 4, 2pm: Music symphony by A. Kanyakumari and group
7pm: Odissi by Madhavi Mudgal & troupe
At: Terrace Theatre, John F Kennedy for the Perf Arts